Periodic Test and Inspect

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When doing a PIR, obv the whole system is tested. Would normal practice be to remove all switch and socket fronts to check conductors? I imagine it would so to check conductors are identified and back boxes are bonded.

Doing my 1st PIR week on monday so trying to find out what the normal method is of a domestic PIR!

Help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Not really, you'll be there for ages - do say 30% of them. If you find a fault then do 50%, if you find a 2nd fault then do all of them.

Not always.

Alot of my periodics were 25% live test, 25% dead test 100% visual.

If this all came back ok, then it was left at that. If not, then onto a 50% test or full 100% test.

You do not normally remove every accessory.

Have you never been on a PIR with someone experienced in carrying out this sort of testing?

What it is, I used to work for a BK installing containment and wiring for the last 9 years but have started for the family business which have been going for 10 years doing security systems. They were wanting to branch into electrical work hence taking me on but obv am new to all the PIR'S AND part P paperwork. Never had the oppertunity to do a PIR before!

Sponsored Links
Would you class switch wires not marked as live as a fault?
I mean im only doing a report so if there are faults i only note them and r not expected to correct any there and then? correct?
Stupid question but want to ask!

Unflagged switch wires is a code 4.

Do not do any repairs, however menial they might be.

If the installation is dangerous, leave it switched off. (I've only done this 3 times in nearly 12 years)

Stuff to look out for is a HUGE list, so I will not even atempt to list them.

Take a camera. It can be useful to show the client some of your findings, and explain to them why they are non compliant.

Don't abuse code 1. It is only for the most serious of non compliances such as missing earths on class one equipment, or direct access to exposed live parts.

Agree the extent and any limitations before you start too. You can't be expected to start lifting floorboards or checking cables concealled in walls.

Thanks for your help RF Lighting greatly appreciated!
When u say turned off, would you just turn main switch off and its up to them if they want to turn it back on? I understand this would very rarely cum up.
Ive got my PIR forms on order so will have a look through at the code references and so on as soon as I get them!
The camera is a good ideo tho!

I have 2 other questions,
Alot of houses now have fancy lighting installed, down lighters or kitchen lights with all the ceiling brackets and curved chrome poles sometimes takes an age to take down!!! lol When looking for the end of circuit to test Zs or R1 + R2, I presume if that fitting is the end of line then it has to come down to get access to the connections to carry out the test?

Also I have just got a new meter, a Di-Log 9083p 17th Edition Tester but cant seem to find a way of testing Ze on a circuit without tripping the main RCD? Any ideas?

Does your tester not have a "D-lock" or similar setting? Most will have a loop test setting which will not trip RCDs.

The majority of these require you to perform a three lead test (Except for the megger MFT iirc)

Linking out the RCD for testing will give you more accurate readings.

Yes, you will have to remove DLs and fancy fittings and put them back again without damaging them or the decorations if that is a point which requires testing.

Here is a tip from an old dog:
Test your RFC end to end and cross continuity at a socket outlet. Much easier than trying to pull a 72 way DB to bits ;)

I'm scratching my head about the E + N being connected to other circuits in the CU tho, any faults will show up on the RFC.

Not for ring continuity testing it won't.

Is your messenger switched on? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back