Periodic Inspection Report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to phone around a few sparkies to quote for a partial/full rewire on a house we're going ahead with. Should I expect them to carry out a PIR as part of the estimate process? If not, how much should I expect to pay for a periodic test? I'm in Leeds.....

Thanks!

EDIT: I've found some similar posts and I see the periodic report will not be something I should expect as part of the estimate process.

So.....If I get a sparky in and he can tell simply by looking at the state of the wiring that it's in need or a full re-wire (which is what I suspect will happen based on the feedback I've had so far), would he even bother with a PIR?

Sponsored Links
If it is so bad that a visual inspection shows the need for a re-wire then there is little point in doing a PIR. Try to get several estimates before you proceed.

There would be several main points that could indicate a rewire is necessary without a full blown PIR such as:-

- State/age of fusebox/consumer unit
- Condition/type of cabling
- Condition of accessories
- Circuit configurations eg lighting circuits with no cpc
- Presence of protective bonding
- Evidence of dangerous/sub-standard additions

etc etc

Hi

You mention in your post that you may have a partial/full rewire. If you are not certain you need a full rewire then if this is being driven by a concern over whether the wiring is safe, then you may be better asking for a PIR before making a decision.

If its a full rewire being driven by for example you have old rewirable fuses, or you are about to do major renovations then have the full rewire (incl. consumer unit) and no you dont need a PIR. However upon completion you should get an EIC which is similar to a PIR report without the 1-4 grading of any findings. You dont need the 1-4 grading because as its a full rewire there should be no deviations from the regs or unsafe area's. This does assume all your socket outlets ceiling roses immersion heaters etc etc are ok or are going to be replaced as part of the rewire.

Can a sparky tell just by looking if a full rewire is needed, in my opinion, only if the wiring is the old rubber type (or even lead sheathed) or so obviously damaged in areas such as loft spaces etc that even a lay person would know it needs changing.

Sponsored Links
As ever, thanks for all the very useful replies! You guys are saving me so much time with your help. It really is appreciated...

To answer a couple of points.... I intially assumed, based on the switchgear, the fuse box and the general state of the property, that a full rewire would be required. After having my homebuyers survey carried out, the surveyor basically told me that whilst a full rewire would obviously be preferred, it may not be at all necessary. He obviously offset this statement with the usual "get a qualified person to look at it" disclaimer. Which is what I fully intend to do. I fully appreciate that now is the time to get the rewire done if it's required before we move in and start decorating etc. But, at the same time, I don't have an endless pocket of money so I'm keen to do what's required without doing too much for the sake of it.

This is the fuse box and associated gubbins that's made me doubt the condition of the rest of the wiring:

To be frank, I will be amazed if a full rewire is not required. I'm just trying to take a step back and have a measured approach before I spend all my budget in the first 2 weeks!! :confused: :confused:

I understand budget is tight but if you are buying the house for yourself and intend to live there for lets say the next 5 years at least,you probably will be doing the kitchen, bathrooms at some point, go for a rewire now. It will set you up ready for those improvements we all make overtime, make it a safer place to live in and cut down the upheaval in the future. From the picture it looks like its an old CU no RCD or RCBO protection some add ons have been done, its probably mixed wiring and the majority of the wiring over 30 years old ?

However thats just a personal view not based upon anything i can see in the picture that says it must be done.

Yes, I agree with all of that. I am not going to cut any corners and I want the house to be 100% for safe for me and the family. I'm just trying to learn what is likely to required and just to be a bit more informed rather than just signing a blank cheque and handing everything over....

Cheers.

Yes, I agree with all of that. I am not going to cut any corners and I want the house to be 100% for safe for me and the family.

There's your answer.

Get a few quotes for a rewire, based on what YOU want - makes sure they quote for the same job - and ask for referrals from past customers.

A rewire now will outlast your remaining lifetime; you know it makes sense.

There's your answer.

Get a few quotes for a rewire, based on what YOU want - makes sure they quote for the same job - and ask for referrals from past customers.

A rewire now will outlast your remaining lifetime; you know it makes sense.

Yeh, that's pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to. One more general question (for now! ;) ), I've spoken to few electricians already about the rewire and when I ask them if they will do things like plaster over the chasing they've done, they all seem to get a bit vague..... What's the take on this? Should I be expecting to get a plasterer in afterwards??

Should I be expecting to get a plasterer in afterwards??

It depends on whether or not you want to be able to look at your walls afterwards.

Get an electrician to do the wiring, a plumber to do the plumbing, a gas fitter to do the gas work and a plasterer to plaster.

If you want a rewire, get an electrician

If you want plastering done (even remedials) then get a plasterer.

Remember the saying: a Jack-of-All-Trades is a master of none.

Before Nordberg gets his entire house rewired and replastered, is there actually any evidence that it needs rewiring apart from an old fusebox? Surely a PIR would be prudent?

Nordberg - just because the fuseboard is old is doesn't mean the place needs rewired. It looks like you have 2 or 3 additions to the 'original' wiring these may be recent and properly installed and the other circuits

The cost of a PIR depends on the size of the installation and how thorough it is, and you have to decide that with the person carrying it out. Some people offer them ridiculously cheap (sub-£100) but for this kind of money it is unlikely to be of much use and they may well miss out a lot of stuff.

Depending on the size of your property and your area £140+ is more like what you would expect to pay for something decent.

Hi Norberg, where in Yorkshire are you? I have done many properties in Leeds, Bradford, Harrogate, Knaresborough and parts of York, Wakefield.

A PIR may prove to be advantageous, you'll get a yes or a no basically.

ALOT of Yorkshire is in a pretty poor state. YOu will more than likely need a new cu if you are to add anythng new. YOu look to have the classic yorkshire install at the moment. The main cu will probably have 2 socket circuits, 2 lights circuits with a borrowed neutral, and an immersion. then a shower has been added.

Get a few sparks in to look and quote i would be happy to. Not desperate for work as have 3 re-wires and 2 extensions to complete by end of july

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back