Permanent stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time posting so I hope I can explain everything correctly.
I have huge open space loft (1930 semi). We just recently removed the floor that was there when we moved in and insulated with rolls . However now we do miss storage space. I'm absolutely petrified of heights and I have claustrophobia and I won't go up the ladder or dark places. We are looking into fitting a window or two, boarding up the floor, putting membrane on roof (horse hair fell out so it has finger size holes and we have flies infestation) and insulating roof so we can have nice damp free storage / hobby room. I have checked and I don't need planing permission, neither BC because it won't be used as a habitable room (not loft conversion), but please let me know if you think I need one for anything listed. I however can't find anywhere information about fitting normal permanent stairs. I just want to say on the top of the stairs there will be hatch door so it will be closed when we don't use it. I dont want to spend 30k on storage room but my neighbour will definitely contact council with the first screw going in...

Sponsored Links
Once you fit a permanent stair or ladder it becomes an illegal loft conversion, there are no two ways about it.

Have a look at some of the more sturdy wooden ladders which fold rather than slide and have a handrail. These have a large hatch and are solid when set up, and look and feel like a fight of stairs albeit open.

Be careful with pretend, part or unauthorised conversions, as your home insurance could be invalidated.

Sponsored Links
Would this ladder be suitable?
I'm not UK born and not too sure about regulations. Called BC but they asked to fill in the form and pay fee for any advice... Don't want any trouble with insurance neither, but at the same time I would like to utilize the space. Garage is now full... My family home got fantastic storage/ drying room in their loft, higher standard finish than half English houses living rooms. I don't suppose I'm looking into golden handles (can't afford that), just neat tidy room. I've seen someone having walk in wardrobe / dressing room recently done and that really inspired me. That was plasterboards, windows , laminate flooring, electric, one radiator. However they use foldable stairs up and down. Could I do something like that without permanent staircase, just the foldable as advised above?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231014_185323_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231014_185323_Chrome.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 49
Thank you, I'm going to look around for some foldable stairs that don't scare the ghost out of me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back