Permitted development - can I render? Confused!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - new here! Hope I can get some sage advice.

We have PD agreed by council to build a single storey extension on the back of a detached 1960s built house.

Actually it is an extension of a small 1970s built kitchen extension - we are widening it to the width of the whole house.

PD says that it must be finished in an appearance that matches the existing dwelling - in our case brick.

But this will leave three types of brick on show - the original house brick, the 70s extension brick and then our new brick.

So our proposal is to build the new extension in block and then render the new and old extension to give a uniform appearance.

But I am confused! PD rules say that finish must by of similar appearance. Which suggests it must be done in brick. But as I understand it I do not require planning permission to render (in a non conservation area) so I could in theory render the small 70s extension and then the new bit of the extension would match that!

Builder is armed ready to go - I emailed our council on 18th June (you can't ring to speak to a planning officer in Wakefield), auto-response said wait 10 days, still no reply - don't know what to do!

Anyone think we should press ahead in block and render and then if worst comes to worst apply for planning permission retrospectively?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
my architect said the extension to my stone built house could be rendered and painted.... "as long as its vaguely coloured like the house" ie. cream, or some other natural colour , rather than red or blue or similarly conspicuous.

In the absence of much guidance on this, i'm giving it a go - will let you know when/if we get our LDC !

In real terms, no-one will be bothered about such a minor issue on a rear single story extension.

The condition had been included in PD to try and stop people building ugly inappropriate extensions. But it is not something that planners would enforce against unless in special or conservation areas. Contrast in materials can be a positive thing.

These are helpful replies. So frustrating that Wakefield council are so slow in replying and you can't speak to anyone.

So we could potentially paint it red brick colour (though we'd rather fancied de rigeur white render)

And woody you think if we go-ahead regardless we'd get away with it - council wouldn't bother going after us?

Sponsored Links
These are helpful replies. So frustrating that Wakefield council are so slow in replying and you can't speak to anyone.

So we could potentially paint it red brick colour (though we'd rather fancied de rigeur white render)

And woody you think if we go-ahead regardless we'd get away with it - council wouldn't bother going after us?
There's no answer to that. Millions of people use common alternative materials and don't ever run into problems. But you might be the one that gets the jobsworth that decides to make it his life's work to apply the rules. It's doubtful as long as it's not weird or particularly ugly but nobody can say for sure one way or the other. The only safe route is match existing materials. Everything else is a risk - probably a small risk, but a risk.

In planning, there is a concept that a planning authority should not take any enforcement action against any breach of permitted development, which would be otherwise be granted permission if it was sought.

No planner can waste public money taking any sort of action against such an insignificant technical breach of permitted development, which has no impact at all on anyone else. It is not in the public interest.

Thanks again ^woody^.

Anyone else agree with ^woody^? He's making me feel bullish. Might just go ahead and do it.

It's such a minor breach that it would never be in the public's interest to take any enforcement. Enforcement decisions aren't taken lightly, a planning officer can't just do it on a whim, they need to consult with their legal and PR departments and no doubt numerous others to assess the worthiness and likely outcome of any enforcement that may be taken. Sometimes bureaucracy works in your favour.

Right - ok, thanks. So if I just went ahead, white render the single storey extension on the back of a brick house - then I send my photo off to the council to show them that I've been a good boy and finished it and obeyed the PD conditions... only I haven't of course. And then what - the planning officer looking at it will either pass it off and send me my letter regardless, or else he'll move it up the chain?

I did read on another forum about someone elsewhere in the country who had problems getting their authority to agree a rendered extension on a pebbledash house. They won in the end. But I;d have thought my proposed red brick/white render is less than a match than pebbledash/render

Ok - maybe I was making that bit up. But i do have to send them a photo. From the letter that said notification that prior approval was not required: You must notify the LPA in writing of the completion of the development as soon as reasonably practicable... A photograph of the completed extension should also accompany your letter to confirm completion.

You don't notify the council of work done under PD.

PD was designed to allow work to be done without notifying the council and without bureaucracy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back