Permitted development - can I render? Confused!

Not sure about that ^woody^ - I had to notify Wakefield council, who had to give my neighbours 21 days to lodge any problems with it, and then they got round to sending me notification that 'prior approval not requied'

Sponsored Links
I've an idea. The front elevation of our house is mainly faced in stone (with brick at the edges, and brick on other three sides). I wonder whether, if we paint the render on the new extension in a matching stone colour, that we'd get away with the 'of similar appearance' requirement?

If you fancy at look at the fron tof ours type in 13 Woodland Rise Wakefield into google images. It's first image you get.

Prior Approval is a sort 'planning permission-lite'. They need the photo to prove that the work was completed by a particular date - which is going to be a nightmare to manage when that date (May 2016?) eventually comes around. Presumably the length of your conservatory is between 4 & 6m?

So, if it was me I'd get a move on. Build the conservatory in a face brick to match existing adjacent. Send the photo off and then render to your heart's content.

You must notify the LPA in writing of the completion of the development as soon as reasonably practicable... A photograph of the completed extension should also accompany your letter to confirm completion.

There is no requirement in the legislation that the council can demand photos.
Just render it, ignore the council, and forget about it.

Sponsored Links
You don't notify the council of work done under PD.

PD was designed to allow work to be done without notifying the council and without bureaucracy.

Under the prior notification scheme, I believe there is a requirement to inform the council of the completion date.

Prior Approval is a sort 'planning permission-lite'. They need the photo to prove that the work was completed by a particular date - which is going to be a nightmare to manage when that date (May 2016?) eventually comes around. Presumably the length of your conservatory is between 4 & 6m?

So, if it was me I'd get a move on. Build the conservatory in a face brick to match existing adjacent. Send the photo off and then render to your heart's content.

I think the date has recently been pushed back a further three years, to 2019

You don't notify the council of work done under PD.

PD was designed to allow work to be done without notifying the council and without bureaucracy.

Under the prior notification scheme, I believe there is a requirement to inform the council of the completion date.

How does that work I wonder. Is "completion" defined by the scheme?

Does completion need to occur before the 2019 end of the scheme. I'm curious as to the relevance of completion, as it is not an issue in other planning matters.

Woody, no one really knows yet, but yes - whatever 'completion' turns out to be, it is supposed to occur by that date.

And tony1851's right - the expiry date for larger home extensions (Class A, Part 1) was been extended in March of this year. Currently, it will expire 30th May 2019.

The development must be completed before 30 May 2019, and the developer must notify the local planning authority of the completion of the development as soon as reasonably practicable after completion. This notification must be in writing and must include the name of the developer, the address or location of the development, a description of the development, including measurements and calculations (by reference to the new size limits) and the date of completion.

Last edited:
If your extension is between 4m and 8m (for a detached house) then it must be completed by 30th May 2019 AND you must inform the local authority when it is complete. But there is no obligation to send a photo and they can't force you to do so. The purpose of the photo is just to make it more convenient for them to close the case. If you don't send one it might mean they'll come round and have a look instead. But to do that they'd have to have some sort of system of logging and following up - which I find highly doubtful.

Right - think my mind is settled: render, paint in a stone colour to match the stone on the front elevation. I think it'll be sympathetic to the rest of the house and the other houses on the street. There is a risk they will kick up a fuss if I get a jobsworth.

Worst comes to worst I have to cover the render with brick slips.

Thanks Nakajo for the suggestion: you suggest I have a brick face and then render after completion. Yes that would solve it but a) there is the extra cost of bricks and labour and b) it's the principle - if I'm allowed to render it once they've signed it off, why shouldn't I just be able to render it from the very start.

Finally got an email back from planning. they are saying I can only render if some part of the existing house is render. Which I suppose it's what the pd rules suggest!

He said that I would need to obtain planning permission to render the extension, but did say that he wouldn't forsee a problem with obtaining this.

So next decison - do I hold up the build whilst I get this or apply retrospectivly?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back