Personal Access Door in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any minimum size regulation for an access door fitted into a detached garage?
Is outward opening (onto own property) OK?
Can any glazed external door be used or do fire regs become relevant?
Any other tips?

Sponsored Links
Anything you like, if you go glazed though, just make sure any glass below 800mm high is toughened.

..... and above 800mm too if it's a door ;)

Safety glass is the proper term though, as it can be toughened, laminated, or wired

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply.
Is there any width that I could fit into the cavity stone/block single storey gable wall without having to insert a lintel ?(Don't shoot me down in flames)

Good idea, but are they still made? A mate used them in the 1930s on doorways, but with good solid wooden door frames. That's what I had in mind.

It would be easier without it than having to insert one.

If you don't have a lintel how on earth do you think its possible to keep the wall above up there? Unless the opening's about 300mm you'll need a lintel.

Well, I was hoping that the top of the door frame, supported by the frame uprights might suffice, as it is a personal door (Not the Car entry main door) and hence my query as to what width may be possible?

( But 300mm is a cat flap)

View media item 18134
Now that the weather is bad, I may find time to get round to this job.
I want to create the door in the single story gable end wall, by removing blocks 1 & 2 to get the width, and then cutting down.
It appears that I will have to remove blocks A, B & C and fit a lintel.
Is there any chance I can get away without disturbing Blocks D,E & F?
Any suggestions for best lintel to use?
The interior blocks course does not line up with the proposed exterior lintel line. Any advice, please?

OK hire an acrow prop and strong boy from a hire shop. drill out the mortar bed from above "b" below the perp of "d+e" once the bed is out insert the stong boy and tighten the prop.

Remove a+b+c insert lintel

What lintel are you using, are you using a concrete or an L shape catnic lintel. the Lshape catnic lintel would mean you can replace the block/stone and would look in keeping, where as a concrete lintel would look a little out of place its a more ridgid job.

http://www.greengates.co.uk/product...s/catnic-cnz94c-l-shape-lintel-2-product.html

Once the lintel is inserted pack up with slate mortar up and remove prop and strongboy.

The fact that the block doesnt work courses just means your going to have to cut the blocks down to suit your opening.

i think standard door opening is 910mm so you would need a 1200mm lintel. The l shape opens i am talkin about are about 40 quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back