Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

It's a mess, and seems to be a knee jerk reaction to Greta Thungberg.

I find it totally bizarre that much of the developed world, especially those with tree-hugging leanings, seems to want to base our future transport and environmental policies on this person. They are actually hanging on every neurotic uttering of a mentally defective child.

Or is it just me?

Sponsored Links
It's just you.

She isn't saying anything you haven't heard a thousand times before, but ignored.

The "much of the developed world" that you mention has already grasped the problem and has been thinking how to address it.

You've been left behind.

Sponsored Links
It's just you.

She isn't saying anything you haven't heard a thousand times before, but ignored.

The "much of the developed world" that you mention has already grasped the problem and has been thinking how to address it.

You've been left behind.

So you're one of the many who has fallen for her spiel.

And how are you addressing the problem from the seat of your gas guzzling Jag? :ROFLMAO:

But true. She has aspergers.

Or do you want me to sugar-coat it some way so that I don't offend the sensibilities of snowflakes?
There's a difference between being factual and being an arse.

You are behaving like an arse. Factual enough for you?

I don't agree with Greta at all.

She has been sensationalised, and the politicians have given her and her family far to much of their time.

the world hasn't always been this polluted, this is a by product of globalization , over the past 20 years it has grown exponentially, everyone must have absolutely everything now.

Debt for young people has never been so high and it's all because they must own flash cars and latest gadgets, regular fancy holidays etc etc, and then bitch and whine they can't afford to buy a house. I digress here sorry.

This isn't something switching to electric cars can solve, they aren't that much greener than fossil fueled modern cars over their lifecycle. They also cost a fortune not to just purchase but to also repair. (A replacement battery can be a 5k bill easy) this will leave many in transportation poverty, leaving them unable to get to work. As we now have an average of a 40 minute driving commute thanks to globalization. Public transport is an absolute joke outside of major cities,

The country has squandered it's finances since the 70's with investment in the wrong places, the EU does have a big part to play in all this.

We do need to do something about this and we should be becoming greener, BUT it cannot be done over night and you can't just click a switch like the government just has, it really isn't that simple.

No engines, no transmissions, no exhausts, motors that need no maintenance, brake pads that don't need changing so often, self sealing tyres, hardly any servicing, hardly any maintenance. There will be fundamental change to the whole car maintenance and repair industry - labour and suppliers. Add that to the shopping revolution (automation) and I wonder what a lot of people will be doing for work.

Even if the charging infrastructure vastly improves, there are millions of homes without a place to charge their cars overnight. And the number of power stations needed to charge everyone's cars along with the general increase in power consumption when gas boilers go etc, makes it unimaginable how it can be done unless there is some radical invention in the next few years.

you don't think Climate Change is real?

Don't be so bloody stupid. Of course it's real, it's been real for many years. Which is why ever stringent emissions controls have been put in place.

I don't agree with how Greta has been put on a pedestal.

The first time I realized the world needed to change was on a documentary on channel 4 about fish supplies.

Then since then over time looking into things further and more documentaries, David Attenborough ones are a bit of an eye opener,

I do avidly try and change my habits, I try not to be so wasteful, I try to recycle as much as I can.

Problem is we are all forced down a path of convenience set by big business and government.

People have been trying hard and working away for years to try and come up with solutions, solutions that still to this present day don't currently exist. All we can do this far is limit use.

Unfortunately we all have to live and eat so it has to be done as a gradual process.

To be honest if you stopped globalization that would instantly solve 80% of the problem.

No engines, no transmissions, no exhausts, motors that need no maintenance, brake pads that don't need changing so often, self sealing tyres, hardly any servicing, hardly any maintenance. There will be fundamental change to the whole car maintenance and repair industry - labour and suppliers.
Well, my business since 1985 has been motor vehicle repair and maintenance training and I have definitely seen a drop in demand of those that want to go into the trade so much so that only yesterday I was up my accountants discussing the winding up of my limited company. Smelly, dirty, polluting, internal combustion engine powered cars and their associated systems are going the way of the horse and cart! I’ve had a good living out of them but for the last few years now, I’ve been thinking that I wouldn’t want to be starting a career in this trade and at 62, the idea of retirement is looking more and more attractive. I remember that my Grandfather was a wheelwright (built wooden wheels) and I can imagine my grandson wondering what was actually involved when his grandfather (me) worked as a motor mechanic! Anyway, I’ve got until the end of March to make a decision but I’m pretty sure what I’m going to do. I should think about having a look at some DIY type training school options but I’m basically a lazy sod so I probably won’t!

Last edited:
Even if the charging infrastructure vastly improves, there are millions of homes without a place to charge their cars overnight. And the number of power stations needed to charge everyone's cars along with the general increase in power consumption when gas boilers go etc, makes it unimaginable how it can be done unless there is some radical invention in the next few years.
Not many more power plants at all, in fact demand would be less than it was in previous years. Gas boilers would be much much bigger though. Moving things is easy, heating things is hard (in terms of energy).

This has a lot of good bits, too many to quote individually. But it is from the National Grid who for obvious reasons are looking forward to EVs (and probably electric boilers)..https://www.nationalgrid.com/5-myths-about-electric-vehicles-busted

Most, but not all, people would be able to charge overnight. For the rest a load of fast chargers and slower chargers at car parks mean they'll be able to charge up.

In EVs all the basics are there, no new inventions needed (although new inventions will crop up to help). It's just a question of building up the charging infrastructure and dropping the price now.

Sponsored Links
Back