Petrol/Diesel ban from 2040

No appology necessary Judy, that's what the GD should be about, updating everyones knowledge.

I think there was a scheme to give you a free charge point, but not any more; although I suspect it's something you can negotiate with a new car. Charging at home is damned cheap, and I think they'll force down the commercial charge points so that take up is more acceptable.

Sponsored Links
I do know someone with a Japanese hybrid car, he lives on one of the islands so probably doesn't do many long journeys. His is quite an early one, with leased batteries on some kind of exchange scheme. I don't know if he has solar panels which could cut the charging cost in summer.

2040 ???

Possibly the end of the performance car & the beginning of the dull boring world of electric vehcles.

designed by dull , boring, b*** ends forced upon us by dull , boring b*** ends & aimed at the dull boring b*** end customers such as

noseall, johnd and him again wa har b

:LOL::LOL:

Transam - the most repetitive poster on DIYnot considers him/herself interesting.

(Noseall now expects a plethora of nonsense posts from Transam, referring to either boredom, Trump, Russians, washing machines etc, following any posting in any thread on GD and having no relevance to that thread).

YOU are the epitome of dull boyo.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I nearly got run over by an electric car, :eek:bl00dy spookey and dangerous things sneaking up on people? Probably kill more people than the fumes:D
litl

2040 ???

Possibly the end of the performance car & the beginning of the dull boring world of electric vehcles.

designed by dull , boring, b*** ends forced upon us by dull , boring b*** ends & aimed at the dull boring b*** end customers such as

Tesla cars are far from dull & boring, they also have free charging points, but are a tad pricey.

Hmmm I apologise. Apparently there are a few charging stations which cost nothing (if you can find them) (so much for taking notice of Cap'n Slow on The Grand Tour ehh) According to the research I have now done, you could charge your vehicle at home for an average cost of £2 -£4 for 100 miles charge. At the hospital I work at , there are a couple of charging stations which are free (at the moment) Just wish I had a Nissan Leaf. There are other considerations for electric vehicles though. A Nissan Leaf will lose about 66% of it's value in the first year. A charger (to charge it at home ) is somewhere in the region of £1000 (not sure if these are supplied with the vehicle from new though)

£4 for 100 miles........

I drive a 2 litre diesel, about 50/50 urban and motorway, without thrashing it, but cruising along at a reasonable speed. I get about 600 miles to a tankful.
At c. £1.11 / litre at the moment, this is a bit shy of £60 to brim the tank or, for equivalence,

£10 for 100 miles......

Don't think so, you'll notice a credit card slot at the charging point. There have been a lot of accusations of serious rate hikes at the charging points, making it about 4 times as expensive as petrol or diesel.

Someone's charging c. £40 for a full charge?

http://www.thechargingpoint.com/beginners-guide.html

Most UK drivers drive less than 100 miles per day, so range between charges shouldn't be a problem for most, even now.

2040 ???

Plenty of torque, potentially rapid acceleration, add a Vroom Box or equivalent, and i bet most drivers wouldn't know the difference between petrol and electric.

It's all moot anyway; 2040 is a long way away, so I would be surprised if personal transport (if it exists at all) resembles anything like a current car (petrol, electric, diesel, shoite-powered, whatever) anyway.

I've driven some fairly exotic cars and plenty of fast bikes - nothing close to a P100D. It was insanely fast. It felt like 0-60 in a blink, 2.5 seconds. apparently.

I got out wanting one. 3 things put me off, price, what happens after 8 years if my battery needs replacing? it kinda looks like a mondeo.

Given Li-ion tech improvements in the last 10 years, I can see weight and range improve substantially that a policy of no new ICE cars after 2040 might work.

On way the range of electric vehicles might be extended would be to have easily removeable batteries so instead of filling the tank there could be battery exchance stations instead of fuel pumps...just a thought?
litl

On way the range of electric vehicles might be extended would be to have easily removeable batteries so instead of filling the tank there could be battery exchance stations instead of fuel pumps...just a thought?
litl

That's the obvious solution; a bit like swapping a mobile phone or torch battery. Dependent on battery technology improving to say something like a 10 litre fire extinguisher, capable of giving a 500 mile range, swappable in a minute or so.

I thought battery swapping was what they did in Formula E racing but, having not watched it, don't know for certain.

Putting me off:

1) current prices of electric vehicles - can't afford it
2) no infrastructure where I live. If I lived in a house I'd have the option of putting a charge point into the drive
3) concern about more rapid obsolescence of technology - the rate at which ''new and improved'' models are phased in just to milk extra money from the consumer. The loss from petrol tax revenue to the government will be in the billions, they will want to make that back somewhere, bet your bottom dollar.

I'll be dead by 2040 so what concerns me more are the plans to charge / ban certain cars from certain roads from 2020. I hope it doesn't apply to my Euro 6 diesel

You will still be able to buy hybrids, so if you don't have a drive, you'll not have to plug in.

The ban will just be for pure ICE.

Sponsored Links
Back