Petrol shortages - who should shoulder blame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get the public. They are blaming the media for creating this, the same media they say lies and doesn't tell them the truth. If that was the case then why does the public act on their news if they know they lie?

But then the same public lap up the media lies when it comes to EU, Trade, economy etc.

The Government is blaming the hauliers for leaking the news, the same Government that will test policy by leaking it on a Friday to the media and then watching the response for actually setting policy.

What a complete and utter crap shoot.

Sponsored Links
Just about everything is the media's fault. We are slaves to the media. They tell us who to vote for, what to watch on TV, what to buy, where to go on holiday, who to trust (and who distrust). Our view of the world, both in the UK and other countries, is largely driven by the media. Michael Palin and the Express have very different reports on other countries, but the Express has a daily voice, so wins.

Spotted earlier on FB:
242769755_1042635186541192_2884065265148945429_n.jpg

Just about everything is the media's fault. We are slaves to the media. They tell us who to vote for, what to watch on TV, what to buy, where to go on holiday, who to trust (and who distrust). Our view of the world, both in the UK and other countries, is largely driven by the media. Michael Palin and the Express have very different reports on other countries, but the Express has a daily voice, so wins.

Spotted earlier on FB:
View attachment 245492

Social Media is still media and with even less association with facts and truth.

The problem of the media is, that it is privately run so they need to bring in viewers. So they are incentivised to sensationalise and embellish the news - bendy bananas anyone?

The BBC has become the mouthpiece of the Government as its news output has many ex Tory party employees.

Sponsored Links
It shows how easy it is to cause widespread panic, regardless of what's true or not true. Seeing the forecourt mayhem reminds me a bit of catastrophe movies when the population are basically starting to lose it big time, every person for themselves etc.

Imagine you worked in an office block and finishing time was 5pm. I expect you could walk around telling only a few people 'we've to finish early and be out the car park for 4pm today as it's getting some remedial work done.' Those few would tell a few more etc etc and I bet come 4pm a fair few would be out of there at 4pm, without checking to see if the story was actually true.

Spotted earlier on FB:
View attachment 245492
To be fair, that's not a recent phenomenon though. Yes, technology makes media more accessible and instant these days, however media has been used for centuries to spread information / misinformation to bolster whatever agenda usually by the great and the (not so) good.

I don't get the public. They are blaming the media for creating this, the same media they say lies and doesn't tell them the truth. If that was the case then why does the public act on their news if they know they lie?

But then the same public lap up the media lies when it comes to EU, Trade, economy etc.

The Government is blaming the hauliers for leaking the news, the same Government that will test policy by leaking it on a Friday to the media and then watching the response for actually setting policy.

What a complete and utter crap shoot.
Because we can all, to varying degrees, be guilty of cherry-picking what we do and don't want to believe based on our own views and bias.

Because they are very selective about the lies they want to believe and the truths they want to dismiss.

To be fair, that's not a recent phenomenon though. Yes, technology makes media more accessible and instant these days, however media has been used for centuries to spread information / misinformation to bolster whatever agenda usually by the great and the (not so) good.

I know. It's always been a problem, but traditional media at least had some rules to follow, and it is clear when one of them is breaking those rules. New media is just a nightmare.

I am not a member of the "they" who lap up lies they want to be true and deny truths they want to be false.

Sponsored Links
Back