Peugeot Speedfight 2 Moped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know it isn't a car, but bear with me....

My 16 year old son has a 55 plate Peugeot Speedfight 2. It did run fine until around November, when he started having trouble with poor starting, lumpy running and intermittent loss of power, to the extent that he is now unwilling to go out on it in case he can't get back.

When it does run, it runs fine, so I presume it is something external to the engine, rather than internal. Last week it had stopped running, so I checked for a spark, and checked that I could petrol through to the carburettor (by sucking on the vacuum pipe) and since then it has been fine. However, I presume whatever the fault is is still there, and am just waiting for it to happen again.

Is there a good resource somewhere of things to check in sequence (or to try replacing) to see if we can eliminate the problem ?

Sponsored Links
If you google 'peugeot speedfight 2 faults' it comes up with different forums discussing problems with this machine. Sorry can't help further other than to say that when my son had a bike (not a Peugeot) it had the same fault which turned out to be water on wet days getting past the grommet where the wiring entered the magneto(?) housing and killing the ht spark. Does the fault only occur to your son's bike on wet days?

Last edited:
If you google 'peugeot speedfight 2 faults' it comes up with different forums discussing problems with this machine. Sorry can't help further other than to say that when my son had a bike (not a Peugeot) it had the same fault which turned out to be water on wet days getting past the grommet where the wiring entered the magneto(?) housing and killing the ht spark. Does the fault only occur to your son's bike on wet days?

Thanks. It can be a little difficult trying to get info out of him regarding pinning down a cause, but I would say that it does seem to be a cold and/or damp type of thing...

Go for a new spark plug, and a clean out of the carburettor if you want to get stuck in.....its worth checking out the air cleaner too. When you operate the vacuum fuel tap manually - which is a good move - see that you get a good, uninterrupted flow of fuel.
Is this a two or a four stroke bike?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Go for a new spark plug, and a clean out of the carburettor if you want to get stuck in.....its worth checking out the air cleaner too. When you operate the vacuum fuel tap manually - which is a good move - see that you get a good, uninterrupted flow of fuel.
Is this a two or a four stroke bike?

Two stroke. When I sucked on the vacuum pipe, I did get a good squirt of fuel out (which is kind of a pity, as that is what I was banking on)..

Now, funnily enough, he has got it into his head that cleaning the carburettor is a massive job, and is also very keen to take off the cylinder head and check the piston rings as he believes that is an easy job

Taking off the cylinder head will not reveal the piston rings I'm afraid, the barrel will have to come off too for that. Its an easy enough job, but you'll need a cylinder head and barrel base gasket to do the job properly. If you do this, please note the piston rings have pegs to locate them and to stop them turning on the piston - absolutely vital you get that right.
A quick way is to drop the exhaust off and peer through the exhaust port - you'll soon see if there is a lot of carbon build up.
Cleaning the carb is dead simple - all you need is an aerosol can of carb cleaner and a clean area to work, once its off the bike.
The huge enemy of any two stroke is lack of compression due to cylinder and piston ring wear......if you can spin the engine flywheel you should find a definite spot where the engine becomes harder to turn.
What sort of mileage does the bike have?

Huge enemy ...............And lack of crankcase compression if the oil seals have worn ;) doubt if there'll be much carbon anywhere with the modern 2t oils.

Good call about the modern oils - the engines remain remarkably clean.
Being a small engined bike you can guarantee there's only ever been one throttle position - wide open!
Hence my mileage query.

Had one many years ago, prefer the much more reliable Piaggio . Symptoms suggest the exhaust is choking up , used to have a removable baffle pipe which could be cleaned though likely they have done away with that and you either need a new exhaust or you can do a limited clean with caustic soda , should be details online . Get it wrong though and you risk blocking it completely .

I used to keep a spare exhaust to allow a quick swop before cleaning the blocked exhaust, after market exhausts can also give a power boost( used to get over 60mph out of mine with a few mods)

What sort of mileage does the bike have?

About 27,000 km, though the MOT history suggests that may be an unreliable figure.

The guy we bought it from was about 22 Stone, so God knows how he ever got it moving....

About 27,000 km, though the MOT history suggests that may be an unreliable figure.

The guy we bought it from was about 22 Stone, so God knows how he ever got it moving....
Definitely time for new exhaust.
Used to often commute with daughter on the back, so over 25 stone. Peugeot could not handle it ,cremated the clutch,[unreliable bike all round] but my piaggio would still do 60MPH+ with two up.

At that sort of mileage a replacement cylinder barrel and piston will definitely be needed, and a compression check should confirm.
If you think the exhaust could be blocked, start the engine up with the exhaust off - the difference (and noise) would be immediately apparent.

I did nearly 40,000 km on my bike from new , head and piston were still fine.

Sponsored Links
Back