PG Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy's

I have come to the conclusion this I just don't like PG tips. Taken me quite some time to acknowledge this but I am a tad slow (see up the garden path )

So without leaving a nasty taste what are your considerations as regards tea bags

Sponsored Links
It's the way you stir it in the pot that makes the difference. And a tea cosy, you cannot make a decent pot of tea without a tea cosy, a kitchen towel wrapped round the pot will work at a push, but nothing compares to a properly designed and manufactured tea cosy.

It's the way you stir it in the pot that makes the difference. And a tea cosy, you cannot make a decent pot of tea without a tea cosy, a kitchen towel wrapped round the pot will work at a push, but nothing compares to a properly designed and manufactured tea cosy.

This of course refers to the preparation of said tea. I have also been reliably informed that squeezing the tea bag will introduce bitterness to the tea (which I will need to confirm via a blind taste test.)

What particular make or brand of tea resides in your tea pot..?

pg tips

soft or Brita water

do not allow to stew for more than 4 minutes

use a clean teapot

whole milk not skimmed

Sponsored Links
I think the preparation is more important than the tea. Inconsistency in the production is the enemy of the tea afficionado. Of course you will always have to go for the more well known blends, a cheap asda tea will never give good results.

Also it needs to be fresh.

Though the renowned experts in tea, the local builder and ancillary trades, don't seem to take much care in the preparation I have noticed. Chuck a tea bag in the mug, top up with water, and sin of all sins, add the milk before it has brewed. I only hope they aren't as sloppy with the foundations as they are with the preparation of their tea.

Though the renowned experts in tea, the local builder and ancillary trades, don't seem to take much care in the preparation I have noticed. Chuck a tea bag in the mug, top up with water, and sin of all sins, add the milk before it has brewed. I only hope they aren't as sloppy with the foundations as they are with the preparation of their tea.
We spent a good four months on one job and my char lad threw all the tea bags in the same (shrub border) spot.

The client was Indian and he didn't believe me when i said that the tea bags had fallen off his tea bag tree.

The skip was a mighty 10 paces away!

One thing that gets omitted when talking about making a good cuppa is the water. A good cup of tea needs water with oxygen. Water in a kettle that has been boiled one or more times loses some oxygen. People often leave this re-boiled water in the kettle and just top it up and boil it again for their next tea.

If going to boil the kettle for tea making, I empty any water left in it, before putting freshly-drawn cold water in. Never water from the hot tap that's been through your boiler or stored in a hw cylinder. If you follow this basic rule, you will have a better, brighter cup of tea. Also, let the boiled water stand for a minute before pouring from the kettle.

Yes, IMHO, adding the milk to the cup first is wrong if brewing with a bag in a cup. However, I like strong 'builders' strength' tea, and always squeeze the bag to get the last tanin hit. As I like a half spoon of sugar, this reduces any bitterness.

Like the Op, I'm not keen on PG Tips. I used to use Typhoo, until they reduced the amount of tea in the bags, which meant that I couldn't get a cup strong enough for me. I use Tetley now, as there is more tea in their bags and it's a reasonable everyday cup. Twinings English Breakfast is also good.

Think I'll put the kettle on after all that!

]We spent a good four months on one job and my char lad threw all the tea bags in the same (shrub border) spot.

The client was Indian and he didn't believe me when i said that the tea bags had fallen off his tea bag tree.

The skip was a mighty 10 paces away!

My teabags get used for compost although I tend to dry them out first and rip them open and only put the leaves onto the ground as the bags contain polyester that doesn't rot down. I wouldn't dream of throwing them in a skip or bin.
As to the tea itsself then we use tetley or better still loose tea which always seems to beat bags on taste.

If going to boil the kettle for tea making, I empty any water left in it, before putting freshly-drawn cold water in. Never water from the hot tap that's been through your boiler or stored in a hw cylinder.

Spot on, old chap

Yes, IMHO, adding the milk to the cup first is wrong if brewing with a bag in a cup. However, I like strong 'builders' strength' tea, and always squeeze the bag to get the last tanin hit. As I like a half spoon of sugar, this reduces any bitterness.

Now you have ruined agood post. Milk and sugar IN TEA?!.

Good grief you lot are so common, its the bone china cup & saucer that makes the finest cup of tea.

Also WS66 how ridiculas!!! water becoming de-oxegenated, hello, H2O!! its two parts hydrogen andone part oxegen. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I reckon for a good builders brew the double brew method can not be beaten tea bag in the mug add boiling water let brew squeeze, then this the important bit add the milk,and then continue with the the second brew squeeze the tea bag again remove tea bag for a grand builders tea or leave it in for the Gordie style, known as bag in,only for hard core b/t drinkers
as far as the tea bags go I reckon the quality comes and goes so I swap between PG TETLEY TYPHOO and TWININGS EVERYDAY

this is one of the odest subjects iv seen on a forum.... tipical biulders stuff - tea.,.

my point is, you like wot you like... wahts the point in telling other people?

i aint going to change to tipe pf teebag i use based on this thred !!!

Are you.?

this is one of the odest subjects iv seen on a forum.... tipical biulders stuff - tea.,.

my point is, you like wot you like... wahts the point in telling other people?

i aint going to change to tipe pf teebag i use based on this thred !!!

Are you.?

how would we ever move on form baby food

Sponsored Links
Back