Phone call from BCO RE: Loft windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently recieved a phone call from my local BCO in relation to 2 loft windows on the rear of my house.

He said he had recieved an anonymous tip off about them and would like to come and have a look.

I fitted them with my grandad 5 years ago, they are velux type windows from The Loft Shop.

My other (main) concern is that I also have a TV in the loft and a PS3, the floor is carpeted and the walls plastered. Yes, very naughtly I know but I was under the impression I could do what I wanted with my loft space as long as didn't have front or side facing windows, no large dormer and no permanent bed.

Would anyone know what he is likely to say when he visits? Will he want me to prove I only use it for storage? Will he want me to remove the plaster to ensure i've doubled up the rafters? Does it matter thats its carpeted and plastered?

Sponsored Links
There's no legal definition of a loft 'room'. The rule is; if it looks like a loft room, it is a loft room. It doesn't matter if you have a bed there or not. If it's plastered out and painted and has electrical sockets etc. then it will be considered to be a loft room.

On the other hand there is no enforecment procedure for works older than 12 months. So there's not really a lot BCO can do about it. They can write to you and tell you to put it right but they won't follow it up because they have no formal procedure. The only option open to them it to take legal proceedings through the court but they haven't got the money to waste on things like that and in any case they would have to prove it was in the public interest to do so, which I doubt they could do.

Worse case is that it will remain on record to bugger you up when you come to sell. But a dodgy loft room will do that on it's own so not a lot lost.

I've recently recieved a phone call from my local BCO in relation to 2 loft windows on the rear of my house.

He said he had recieved an anonymous tip off about them and would like to come and have a look.

I fitted them with my grandad 5 years ago, they are velux type windows from The Loft Shop.

My other (main) concern is that I also have a TV in the loft and a PS3, the floor is carpeted and the walls plastered. Yes, very naughtly I know but I was under the impression I could do what I wanted with my loft space as long as didn't have front or side facing windows, no large dormer and no permanent bed.

Would anyone know what he is likely to say when he visits? Will he want me to prove I only use it for storage? Will he want me to remove the plaster to ensure i've doubled up the rafters? Does it matter thats its carpeted and plastered?

As somebody has converted the loft to a habitable room, it should have been done to the building regs in force at the time (joist size, insulation, electrics). However, although your BCO will probably tut a lot, I don't think he can *make* you do anything now, if it's been completed for more than 12 months. Unless something is actually dangerous.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. After searching I was expecting some very negative replies but they all seem very helpful.

I'll just make the appointment with him and see what he says. I wonder if there was a complaint of if he has just spotted them whilst going about his business? I assume i'll find out because he will have to explain the nature of the complain.

This may end up not as bad as I originally thought. Possibly even a blessing in disguise (wishful thinking).

When you carried out this work did you remove any part of the roof structure? struts, purlins etc?
One man and his PS3 is unlikely to cause structural problems but ferking about with the roof structure could well do

This question is in regards to you and your houses wellbeing, regardless of what the bco might think.

No, nothing on the roof was changed except for the 2 windows which are above the purlings. The whole floor in the loft/upstairs ceiling was dropped when the house was gutted towards the end of 2005. The floor was replaced with 6x2 timber at 300mm centres, probably should have been 8x2 but after 5 years there is no movement and no cracks to the plaster on the ceiling below..

I'll show some pictures after his visit and report back on what he says/does.

IF all he is coming for is about 2 velux windows, tell him to go away.

AFAIK You do not need PP to fit a Velux, and after about 4 years you dont need it anyway.

Why exactly does he want to come round?

Let them look from the outside by all means.

Anything else, let them write to you first.

IF all he is coming for is about 2 velux windows, tell him to go away.

AFAIK You do not need PP to fit a Velux, and after about 4 years you dont need it anyway.

Why exactly does he want to come round?

Let them look from the outside by all means.

Anything else, let them write to you first.

As I understood the post, this was about Building Control, not Planning. I imagine the BCO wants a look because Velux windows imply there might have been some loft converting going on.

Cheers
Richard

Whilst the time limit for enforcement action is generally stated as 12 months, there is in fact no time limit for enforcing structural works and more significantly life-safety issues - typically fire spread and means of escape

The BCO will normally "request" compliance in terms of minor issues like insulation, ventilation etc, but will tend to insist on works to correct life-safety issues.

Basically, he can't let you use a loft room where there is real risk to a person using the loft - and that is a public interest issue.

The two Velux's are the least of your worries if the loft floor has had no upgrade in terms of fire rating or structural support, or if there is no proper stair access and protected escape route.

What it is is that someone has aparently mentioned to him that I have a converted loft without permission (Which is true, its all plastered/decorated/carpeted), he's seen the windows and now want to look inside.

I've decided to invite him round for a look and see what he says. I could be awkward and deny him entry but I imagine he could cause me a fair bit of trouble if he wanted to. I'll just explain that I thought a loft conversion was permitted development when I did it in 2005.

Reading into it now I would have to meet the following which I think I have done:

the structural strength of the new floor is sufficient - Been there 5 years and still perfect
the stability of the structure (including the existing roof) is not endangered - Didn't alter that other than basic window install
safe escape from fire - Climb out of the window?
safely designed stairs to the new floor - Yes
reasonable sound insulation between the conversion and the rooms below - No, but never noticed any noises.

I'd also like to know who mentioned it but he claims it was anonymous.

What it is is that someone has aparently mentioned to him that I have a converted loft without permission (Which is true, its all plastered/decorated/carpeted), he's seen the windows and now want to look inside.

I've decided to invite him round for a look and see what he says. I could be awkward and deny him entry but I imagine he could cause me a fair bit of trouble if he wanted to. I'll just explain that I thought a loft conversion was permitted development when I did it in 2005.

Reading into it now I would have to meet the following which I think I have done:

the structural strength of the new floor is sufficient - Been there 5 years and still perfect
the stability of the structure (including the existing roof) is not endangered - Didn't alter that other than basic window install
reasonable sound insulation between the conversion and the rooms below - No, but never noticed any noises.

I'd also like to know who mentioned it but he claims it was anonymous.

There's still some confusion here between Planning Permission and Building Control, which are different things. Permitted development is what you are allowed to do without Planning Permission, and nothing to do with Building Control. Your BCO isn't interested in whether you have, or needed Planning Permission. He's interested in whether the work complies with the Building Regulations.

Cheers
Richard

I think that you will find that just because the floor is still up after five years, and you can't hear any noises, and that you can jump out of a window, and you have some stairs, this does not necessarily mean that the work complies with relevant regulations!

You need to let the BCO in and see what he says, but I can't see how any BCO will let an unauthorised loft go if there are structural and safety concerns - he would be a fool to do so

So what are his options? Can he make me do anything? Can I get into any sort of trouble?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back