Physics Question

I'm in the "instant" camp. Gravity doesn't "travel" as light does. It is a property of space and thus if the shape or warp within space changes then the gravity and thus it's effect on particles changes immediately. In short, it;s either there or it isn't, there's no time delay.

Sponsored Links
'Instant' can not happen in the physical world, this would mean that a phenomenon can occur in two different places at the same time. This would also indicate time standing still.

Isn't that what quantum physics suggests? Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

If you look at the hammer swinging thing in the Olympics then when the guy lets go of the handle - it happens straight away.

Bloody hilarious, suggesting Olympians throwing hammers at at even the speed of sound, let alone light. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The principle dear lad, the principle. ;)

'Instant' can not happen in the physical world, this would mean that a phenomenon can occur in two different places at the same time. This would also indicate time standing still.

oh yeah, what about paired photons??? change ones spin state and the other one immediately changes it's spin too, and no, no-one know how or why. good for totally secure and instant messaging though.

But no-one knows what a photon is.

oh yeah, what about paired photons??? change ones spin state and the other one immediately changes it's spin too, and no, no-one know how or why. good for totally secure and instant messaging though.

That smiley manc scientist was on the telly a while back talking about electrons I think it was. He was saying that no two electrons can have the same energy level within an atom. So when one electron jumps to a new level all of the other electrons in the universe have to instantly react so that it never happens that two are in the same position within an atom.
Sounds like cr*p to me, but that's what he was saying.

Surely in larger atoms, the electrons within one electron shell, all have the same energy, but those in a differing shell will either be at a higher or lower energy level ? So the smiley Manc scientist is totally wrong, Innit. ;) ;) ;)

I probably haven't got the details right, but the gist of what he was saying went something like wot i rote.

this was discussed recently and confused the sh1t out of even the clever chaps on here (all two of em) so let's not start that again.

And the postulated gravitational wave is thought to travel at the speed of light so if somebody ran off with the sun the effects would be felt here 8 minutes or so later.

I probably haven't got the details right, but the gist of what he was saying went something like wot i rote.

Ahh I see. As I understand it, the electrons are arranged in shells. Each shell is at a differing potential (energy level) although electrons can jump between shells, so an electron jumping from one shell, immediately either loses, or gains energy depending on which shell it jumps to. The electron which originally jumped, displaces another electron, which then takes the place of the original electron in the other shell. ;) ;)

so is it the same for a magnet? holding a ball baering? sudenly disapeers - what happens to the ball?

Sponsored Links
Back