Physics Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the Sun was to completely disappear in an instant, gone poof, nothing there, we would notice the light had gone out in the 8 1/2 minutes approx it takes for light to travel here, my question is, how soon after the Sun has disappeared would the lack of the Suns gravitational pull take effect?

Sponsored Links
That would mean gravity, the effect, is faster than the speed of light, if you say straight away. Not arguing just yet, just making it clear.

Sponsored Links
Question posted to exercise the old grey matter rather than to get an answer itself.

I already know of an answer giving in a very good book, would just like to see peoples working out.

If Joes answer of straight away is true then it would effect everything within the Sun's gravitational sphere at the same instant.

Speed of gravity has already been demonstrated. I believe its about the same as the speed of light.

"The speed of gravitational waves in the general theory of relativity is equal to the speed of light in vacuum,"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_gravity

I believe it was measured with the help of Jupiter on one occasion.

So once again, Joe is wrong.

Spoilsport. Giving away the answer straight away.

For some reason though when people are asked this question, the automatic answer, as given by me aswell, tends towards straight away.

That jupiter experiment has been questioned by other scientists apparently. In any case nobody understands gravity, so who knows the answer to that question.

If you look at the hammer swinging thing in the Olympics then when the guy lets go of the handle - it happens straight away. It doesn't take any time to reach the hammer. Same with the sun and earth.

If you look at anything you are seeing "light" which has a finite speed.
Therefore you can't see anything straight away.
No matter what you look at, you are seeing it as it was in the past not the present.

You never actually 'see' anything other than what your brain makes of the electrical impulses it receives.

That's right joe, change the subject and muddy the waters cos you've made a cnt of yourself. :mrgreen:

I'm in the delayed reaction camp here.

If the Sun went out we on earth would not know about it immediately as it occurred, rather we would feel its effects some time after.

If nothing moves faster than the speed of light, i.e. electrical stuff, radio stuff, gravity etc, then there will be a delay.

Probably.

Sponsored Links
Back