Piano

Good luck with selling it on, unfortunately I often see piano's in a similar condition being given away on Freegle because people struggle to find someone that wants one.
I'd love one but have neither the room nor the skill to play one, all I have is a desire to do so.
SO if I ever do it will be electronic.

There's 2 pianos in my house....I don't play either.
My wife is a piano teacher, so I'm surrounded by music....despite being non musical myself.

The best way to learn an instrument is by having a teacher....my wife has had pupils she has taught from beginner to grade 8.

For the last 6 months, she has been teaching a guy the saxophone - he contacted my wife saying he has always wanted to play....and now he has had lessons every week and can play some tunes.

By the way, the piano is a very demanding instrument, it can play 10 notes at any time....so there's a lot to learn. The sheet music for the piano has 2 lines - one for each hand.

If you are musical go for it.

Sponsored Links
Yes sadly pianos, especially uprights are pretty much worthless. People often don't have the space for them. Electronic keyboards are the norm now.

Based on the fact that my mothers side of the family had a big musical background (Geat uncle played for the Halle orchestra and a second cousin play for the Royal Philharmonic orchestra) I had piano lessons for 6 years. I still can't play the piano and I can't read music. Oh well!

Sponsored Links
Can a piano teacher teach anyone who's keen to play? Or do they have to have some natural aptitude first?
A music teacher can teach the basics of any instrument.
The major part of it is learning to read music and transferring what you are reading into muscle activation, hands, embouchure, feet, etc.
After a few months, muscle memory starts to take over for simple phrases, etc.
For more advanced studies a specific teacher of that instrument is required.
But anyone can learn to play any instrument.
Some take more patience, and dedication than others.

Yes there are some people who do have a natural aptitude. Just like any intelligence factor, some are better at, say navigating than others. The same is true for music.

An important element in any learning is enjoyment and being able to monitor your progress.

I'd probably add that there are some instruments which you wouldn't start with, e.g. a church organ, a bass or baritone sax, a bass clarinet, a tuba, some of the pitched percussion group, etc.
I personally would steer the student to an easier instrument (to learn, to handle, to become accustomed, etc) for starters.
I'd also add that you do need regular access to an instrument for regular practice.
A once a week lesson isn't going to do much without the student doing regular practice in between lessons.
I assume it's the same for all teachers, that you can tell when a student is or isn't practising.

That's a teaboy question....

Sorry, yes, it's catching. I even did it in the car forum on here earlier. Must make myself remember not to post endless questions.

Only kidding, Jim. ;)

And the b'stard still hasn't answered my question. Maybe I should have included something about Brexit in there. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back