Pickles with attitude.

This has just jogged my memory. I pickled some carrots and cauliflower a while ago. Was supposed to take 2 weeks. It’s been a lot longer. Just dug it out of the cupboard and tried it. As I suspected, it’s been left too long - the veg's have lost their crispness and the vinegar - well, it made me cough!

6EE03AEB-D26A-429C-B9F5-D33E91ED5B33.jpeg

Sponsored Links
This has just jogged my memory. I pickled some carrots and cauliflower a while ago. Was supposed to take 2 weeks. It’s been a lot longer. Just dug it out of the cupboard and tried it. As I suspected, it’s been left too long - the veg's have lost their crispness and the vinegar - well, it made me cough!

View attachment 204730

That's a shame, did you use proper pickling vinegar?

Pure vinegar I find too much - always water mine down and add a little smidge of sugar, as well as use white vinegar. That's what I do for gherkins and beets anyway :)

Sponsored Links
I’ll have to give that a try next time. (y)
I find it tastes much better - and doesn't make me cough, as you say! But it doesn't last as long afaik diluting the white pickling with water, about a year. Tbh, the days where I made a ton of pickles are long gone coz just can't eat them all anyway. I just make a couple of jars of each stuff.

I made some apple chutney at the beginning of September.
I'll come back in a year and tell you how it is!

Sponsored Links
Back