picture anyone?

To be strictly accurate, the colour of the lead is cream, not white.

Cream being the identifying colour for a functional earth, that is an earth required for the proper operation of the equipment whilst green-yellow is the colour for a protective earth; an earth required for safety.

This was adopted from telecommunications standards. The old reg, I think, was 514-06-01. dunno what it is now - too much Pino Grigio.

Sponsored Links
Hi RF, I understand your point about not sleeving the functional earth.

Can I ask, I notice in your pics that the functional earth is parked seperately from the cpc(s) for the circuits protected by the RCBO.

I would have thought that it should 'technically' be parked with these cpc(s).

Is there a reason for parking seperately or is it purely down to the fact that the terminal for the cpc(s) is already 'full'.

By the way love looking at your work it shows reall craftmanship and pride, would love to have to work on one of your installs it would be like mana from heaven:cool:

I personally put it with the relevant circuit or in one of the spare un numbered ways.

I would, if possible avoid using the unused numbered ways. unless that way cannot be used in the future.

Noted RF used way 8, there is only capacity for one more circuit, totalling 6, so way 8 is unlikely to be used.

With just one rcbo it is pretty clear what it does although,in a larger board, with more rcbo's in, I would be inclined to blot out the number in that case to avoid any possible confusion.

There is also the option of a small cable marker slid on the cable to identify the circuit.

The only reason I use a seperate terminal is the RCBO earth is stranded and often a smaller CSA than the CPC for the circuit. Using a seperate terminal just seems like more of a sound connection to me.

Sponsored Links
It's a deceptive photo. The tails are at the back of the MCBs, and the busbar is obviously near the front.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back