picture example of internal intruder control panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any one got some pics on the insides of a intruder alarm all wired up?

looking for some cable routing idears / tidyness etc.

Sponsored Links
Are you for REAL??? :eek:

yes im for real, in the pc building game, cable routing, tydiness is just as important as building the system, all i wanted to see was some intruder alarm wiring pics, whats so wrong with that, the guys on the electrics forum are always posting the insides of consumer units etc.

wuld just be nice to see how the pros deal with lots of cables in a intruder alarm panel, and how tidy they make it.

Sponsored Links
View media item 44672
One of my Galaxy G2-44's. Every engineer has their own little quirks and ways of wiring panels. Depends on time allowed, too. I like to keep mine nice and neat. Every cable labelled, all pairs twisted, all terminations doubled over and whisker-free. Don't over do it with the tie wraps, leave enough slack (but not too much!) on the cables, bring them all in through the same entry and twist all pairs (including spares) and it'll look ok.

Every cable labelled, all pairs twisted, all terminations doubled over and whisker-free.
Why folded over?
It's an absolute pain in the **s for service engs, and totally unnecessary.
Take the cable from the terminal and out pops the compression plate, hooked by the folded cable.

The plate compressed by the terminal screw is all that is needed to make a secure connection.

Every cable labelled, all pairs twisted, all terminations doubled over and whisker-free.
Why folded over?
It's an absolute pain in the **s for service engs, and totally unnecessary.
Take the cable from the terminal and out pops the compression plate, hooked by the folded cable.

The plate compressed by the terminal screw is all that is needed to make a secure connection.

Unfortunately, that's not my experience. I find quite often when servicing that cables that haven't been doubled over are more likely to come out when working in the panel and have been known to cause high resistance faults. Yeah, doubling over increases that chances of pulling the little "tang" out of the terminal, but I'd take that any day over chancing a call out due to a poor connection. Just my way of working and I've never had any complaints.

Some connector blocks are more susceptible to the clamp problem than others. In an ideal world they'd all be 'rising clamp' so there wouldn't be a problem with the wire end doubled over.

With the old style tang connector, doubling over is not required IF the wire is terminated neatly, some do, some don't. In essence, that's the real problem - people not making neat terminations.
I think the two photo's give a good insight into how a good install can make life easier for the service guys.

picture-007.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back