Pigeons in loft?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, some how my dads managed to get two pigeons in his loft, I'm off round later to see whats what and got a roofer to come and have a look at his tiles etc.

Might sound a silly question but what's best way to remove them?, if there's an entry then hopefully shoo them out and block it off?.

I know bird poo dust isn't the best, probably need to bin all the insulation as well.

Is there such a thing as a pigeon trap? I could leave in loft.

The loft hatch is tiny, just enough to squeeze through.

Sponsored Links
If they are nesting it is illegal to disturb, remove the nest or block the entry point.
You would need to wait till they were finished nesting.

I thought feral pigeons were exempt when causing damage to property?.

Sponsored Links
Well I had pest control round on Monday and they've evicted the Pigeons (said they counted 60 on the ridge tiles!). Had to cut ceiling to gain access as the "hatch" was in daft place and size of a shoe box.. So need to make that good (ordered a hatch as odd size between joists).

Did a temporary repair as roofer was supposed to come round an make good but he's let me down so hopefully they aren't back in..

Going back to put some more mesh behind tiles until roofer can get round again hopefully this week..

Pest control guys estimated 30 to 50 rubble bags full of Pigeon **** in the loft which I'll be digging out (carefully with proper mask and disposable coveralls).

Just a bit fed up really as he must have known they were up there and I'm left to sort it all out, luckily neighbours are ok and haven't lynched him.

So basically to work all day then off for a couple of hours a night to shovel ****, living the dream..

Ready for a 3hr stint of **** shovelling in the morning, what better way to spend your day off..

20210808_170056.jpg

Well I've managed to dig my way in and get 6 loft boards laid to make it a bit more manageable.

3 hours is enough in the suit and the mask, going to need probably another 4 or 5 goes at it.

Got 30 bags full (the white kitchen bin ones), they seem best size for dropping through the hatch.

I've also broke my "heavy duty" shovel, no surprise really.

I genuinely though the pest control guys were over estimating the amount of sh1t but when you get digging they were about right!.

Only saving grace is it's a two bedroom house..

20210809_102619.jpg
20210809_102626.jpg
20210809_102639.jpg
20210809_102644.jpg

OMG.

I think I would have been inclined to to put a scaffold up, take off a lot of tiles and go through an open roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back