Pipe diameters for a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in France, so I realise that fittings etc. may well be different here.

I have read that the supply pipe diameter for a washbasin should be 12mm and for a shower 16mm. The hot and cold feeds to my bathroom are 14mm copper pipe, and I don't want to have to redo the entire run. I'm intending to join the copper to PER via brass manifolds for hot and cold, which have shut-off valves for each feed.

The shower is not pumped and is fed by standard mains pressure.

Given that the water is coming in via 14mm, is there any point in stepping up the pipe to the shower to 16mm or am I wasting my time doing that?

Sponsored Links
I am in France, so I realise that fittings etc. may well be different here.

I have read that the supply pipe diameter for a washbasin should be 12mm and for a shower 16mm.
Is that written in French for a French shower ? Just my opinion, but I think the French are canny engineers and most of their stuff works very well even if it looks odd ( to us ) As said do a temporary connection and see what happens.

Sponsored Links
I run 10mm to wash basins and toilets, 15mm to baths and showers if fitting to a combi boiler, French water pressure always seems to be at a higher pressure than ours so depending what type of hot water system you have it should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back