pipework under screed

clf-gas said:
But Armaflex is insulation not protection

Your house must be a sight too see

amateurs know best :LOL: :LOL:

It is protection.
And it also prevents heat loss to the screed.

Sponsored Links
Hairfelt lagging (for expansion as well) and then 50mm PVC tape with overwrap if its within the heated space.

Gasguru said:
Hairfelt lagging (for expansion as well) and then 50mm PVC tape with overwrap if its within the heated space.

How can you guys claim to be professional ?
I last seen hair felt lagging used in my home 25 years ago by a cowboy plumber.

Your a bunch of amatuers.
If you walked into a new build of mine and started wrapping pipes with hair felt lagging I would have you chased off the site.

Sponsored Links
billybez said:
am about to pipe in new rads in extension, pipework is to be covered with concrete screed. Can i do this in copper wrapped in denzo tape or do regs say it has to be plastic in conduit ?? any ideas.
cowboyplumber said:
Denso tape is no longer allowed on gas pipes in screed.
:rolleyes: It aint a gas pipe :rolleyes:
I would be inclined to try and find or create another route or re-arrange the system so that you dont need to go under the floor.
If there was no other option I would exceed any requirement and prefer treating the pipework as though it was a gas or potable water pipe with a ducting and some form of access in case anything went wrong.
The least I would settle for with a disclaimer is to use a plastic pipe with no joins in it and run this through a larger pipe as a sheath to allow for expansion, contraction and any movement in the floor.
Granted that under floor heating systems use plastic pipe in the screed but these are restricted to 50ºC to avoid problems mentioned above.

Slugbabydotcom wrote

I would be inclined to try and find or create another route or re-arrange the system so that you dont need to go under the floor.

Thats bodging.
What would you suggest ? Track the walls ?

If there was no other option I would exceed any requirement and prefer treating the pipework as though it was a gas or potable water pipe with a ducting and some form of access in case anything went wrong.

No need to exceed any requirement if they are joined correctly and tested.
Are you suggesting placing CH copper pipes in ducting that leaves them fully accessible from above due to bodged diy soldering ?.
If the OP or anyone for that matter cannot solder confidently and competently then they should not be doing the job.

The least I would settle for with a disclaimer is to use a plastic pipe with no joins in it and run this through a larger pipe as a sheath to allow for expansion, contraction and any movement in the floor.

I have seen plumbers doing this on new build 3 bedroom semi's. However they then used a rad tail piece which had to join to the plastic piping using a pushfit elbow connector under the screed at the base of each rad stub.
The pipe may be in one piece from their manifold but it makes a joint of dubious quality in my opinion under the screed and leaves the pipe non- retractable anyway.

Granted that under floor heating systems use plastic pipe in the screed but these are restricted to 50ºC to avoid

Some are piped in at full boiler temp using certain types of valves.

It ain't bodging! Its called using your brain to come up with a better solution.

Anything is better than running any pipe through a concrete floor. Copper and concrete don't mix.

There is nothing wrong in exceeding any requirement. It's only when requirements are not met and common sense is not used that you get problems. To draw a parrallel. Common sense tells you not to fit electrical sockets under a sink unit where they may get wet yet there is apparently no law or guidance saying otherwise.

Running pipes in walls beats running pipes in ground level or concrete floors IMO. People have habits of spending lots of money on floor coverings tiles hardwoods and laminates etc. On the occasions when you do get a leak; the ones under floors are the worst to deal with.

Talking now specifically of using copper in armaflex insulation

Sand and cement screeds are semi dry

:rolleyes: If thats true then it also means that they are semi wet! :rolleyes:

From the armaflex website
The closed-cell structure of AP/Armaflex prevents moisture from wicking
They used to think that about polystyrene fill that they used for wall insulation. Years down the line they have degraded and can sap water and damage walls

AP/Armaflex normally requires no supplemental vapor-retarder protection.
It isn't a 'normally' when the dpm fails or there is another source of moisture such as an undetected leaking rad valve

If you walked into a new build of mine

Ah now I see where your opinions come from.

If you spend some time on repairs and maintenance you will see all the time bombs that have been created by new build workers in the past.

Perhaps you have never had the privilege of telling someone that has just spent a load of money getting their whole ground floor covered in expensive tiles or wood that somewhere underneath it there is a leak. The most competent plumbers have been sold a faulty fitting and pipes have split due to impurities or mechanical damage. I can cite loads of instances but dont wish to spend a week writing about it.

Come on chaps, we all know that anything Balenza says is a load of old balenocks :LOL:

What do you do at the joins in the insulation and elbows under rad tails, if not Denso tape? (Or inspection arrangements)

Slugbabydotcom wrote

It ain't bodging! Its called using your brain to come up with a better solution.

It is bodging. If thats the best you can come up with you wouldnt get near my place.

Anything is better than running any pipe through a concrete floor. Copper and concrete don't mix.

Since when was concrete used to finish of a floor inside a new build or extension.

There is nothing wrong in exceeding any requirement

There is. It causes unecessary expense.

It's only when requirements are not met and common sense is not used that you get problems. To draw a parrallel. Common sense tells you not to fit electrical sockets under a sink unit where they may get wet yet there is apparently no law or guidance saying otherwise.

Common sense would tell me not to waste my time wrapping copper pipes in denso or otherwise.

Running pipes in walls beats running pipes in ground level or concrete floors IMO.

No one has mentioned running pipes in concrete.
SAND and CEMENT SCREED/SEMI DRY.
I could take you 40 newbuilds near my area currently being installed this way. ie pipes buried in SAND and CEMENT screed. SEMI DRY.

People have habits of spending lots of money on floor coverings tiles hardwoods and laminates etc. On the occasions when you do get a leak; the ones under floors are the worst to deal with.

If you are competent you will not have leaks.

Talking now specifically of using copper in armaflex insulation
If thats true then it also means that they are semi wet

You know nothing about screeds and how they are mixed.

They used to think that about polystyrene fill that they used for wall insulation. Years down the line they have degraded and can sap water and damage walls

Totally different.
Armaflex is buried in the screed with a low moisture content to begin with which then drys out powder dry and stays that way unlike a cavity which can be penetrated with moisture.

It isn't a 'normally' when the dpm fails or there is another source of moisture such as an undetected leaking rad valve

More nonsense.

Ah now I see where your opinions come from.

If you spend some time on repairs and maintenance you will see all the time bombs that have been created by new build workers in the past.

Perhaps you have never had the privilege of telling someone that has just spent a load of money getting their whole ground floor covered in expensive tiles or wood that somewhere underneath it there is a leak. The most competent plumbers have been sold a faulty fitting and pipes have split due to impurities or mechanical damage. I can cite loads of instances but dont wish to spend a week writing about it.

Yes thats right. Pipes and components can fail.
be they copper,plastic,aluminimum,stainless steel, iron or whatever.
My home had copper buried in the screed 25 years ago and not one joint failure under the screed.
For the plumber to have fitted them in the walls would have been a nightmare.
Only someone with limited experience in installation would make such a suggestion.

ChrisR said:
What do you do at the joins in the insulation and elbows under rad tails, if not Denso tape? (Or inspection arrangements)

The joints can all be glued with Armaflex adhesive or
alternatively you can use their jointing tape or both.

and elbows under rad tails

Their would be no elbows under the rad tails if using copper. ;)
Also ,if you are doing a first fix without the rads, the insulation allows some lateral movement of the pipe which hepls a lot when making the final connection to the radiators.

Balenza said:
Slugbabydotcom said:
It is bodging. If thats the best you can come up with you wouldnt get near my place.
Given that there's never one universally best method to do anything, and given that some people successfully use Denzo and tape, and some other people successfully use tubular foam insulation, can you explain exactly what you mean by "bodging"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back