PIR low voltage lighting circuit wiring diagram help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I would be most grateful if someone more experience then I would be able to assist me with the following matter.

I would like to install low voltage lighting under the front canopy porch soffit and also some new driveway path lights leading up to the house. On approaching the house I would like these all to be switched on by an outdoor PIR sensor.

Is the wiring circuit diagram I attached here the right way to connect it all up?

View media item 3744
I have used a junction box for the drivelights so they are easier to connect which will mean that I don't have do any chasing in the external walls as the wire from the sensor to the junction box will be inside the house.

Also where in the circuit can I connect a switch so that I would be able to reset the PIR sensor. What wires connects to what regarding the switch?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thank you for your help,

Stephen.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
earths omiited for clarity?

the drawing is correct.

the switch (if your PIR can use one) goes in series with the live feed to the PIR

You might find it a bit tight getting 3 cables into one PIR sensor, usually the space around the terminal is quite limited.

If so you could use a junction box to make the connections in (needs to be accessible for inspection) and run a single 3 core & earth to the sensor.

Thanks breezer and stem, for your respone and help !! :)

If you could further help me regarding the switch and earthing that would be cool.

Having read what you both wrote, does the new diagram I just done OK?

Have I got the switch connections correct ? I the PIR sensor I got can take a switch so i will be able to do a quick on off so that the lights stay on it I ever wanted to. Also there is plenty space for the wires behind the sensor :)

View media item 3766
The downlights transformer does not have an earth wire, just brown and blue wires as shown in the diagram. the same is that of the drive lights.

Hope someone can show me the way :)

Thanks again

Regards
Stephen

Sponsored Links
What sort of cable are you using to connect to the driveway lights, and where will it run?

Are you aware that this work is notifiable?

That switch is a standard 1W plateswitch. Operation of the rocker shorts L1 & COM together, so you cannot put L to one side & N to the other: you'd create a dead short on switching on!!

The way I would do it would be to put a DP switched spur off a suitable local circuit to feed your new lights. Then, in a suitable location, fit a 1G 1W switch connected across live & switched live feeds ( L & L1 in your diagram). This way, you can have the lighting manually on without having to alter the mode of the passive.

In the "off" position, the lighting would be on auto, ie switched via the passive. In the "on" position, the lighting would be on all the time, until the switch is returned to the "off" position.

The cable I will use to connect the drive light is going to be a 2.5mm2 3 Core Steel Wired Armoured Cable. This will be underground outside then will come into the house into a cabinet near the front door mains meter is housed. This is where the junction box will be above ground leve in the house.

Regarding driveway lights
The cable is rated at 23A cost about £40
There is another cable rated at 16.5A that cost about £29
Both above are from Wicks. Could i get away with using the 16.5A if it saves £10 ??

I aim to connect about 7 or 8 driveway lights

Ok so the last diagram is a BIG NO NO... back to the drawing board...

all i want to do is put a switch lol

will try to put another drawing up for your help.

Regards
stephen

The cable I will use to connect the drive light is going to be a 2.5mm2 3 Core Steel Wired Armoured Cable.
Have you worked with SWA before?

Are these lights designed to have 2 SWA cables glanded to them? If not, what are you going to do?

How deep will the cable be?

What protection and/or warning will it have?

What material will it be bedded in?

Have you thought about the bend radius when deciding where it will run?

This will be underground outside then will come into the house into a cabinet near the front door mains meter is housed. This is where the junction box will be above ground leve in the house.
Again have you taken the bend radius into consideration?

Are you going to gland the cable into this cabinet? Then what?

Regarding driveway lights
The cable is rated at 23A cost about £40
There is another cable rated at 16.5A that cost about £29
Both above are from Wicks. Could i get away with using the 16.5A if it saves £10 ??

I aim to connect about 7 or 8 driveway lights
It's worrying that you have no idea how much current your lights draw.

And it almost certainly won't be an issue, but have you checked volt-drop for those 2 cable sizes, and confirmed that their stated ratings will apply to the installation method you'll be using?

Ok so the last diagram is a BIG NO NO... back to the drawing board...

all i want to do is put a switch lol
It's also worrying that you have no idea how a switch works....

Yes i have worked with SWA a number of times before & the driveway lights will take the cable.

Whole circut will be RCD protected and warning tape in ground etc

All the work I have even done has always been inspected and accepted by regs etc. etc

Actually the guy at wicks said i can get away with the lower cable. so i thought i ask here to be 110% sure. No harm in that.

the easiest way to wire a pir sensor is as follows.
from l1 on your switch bring a cable to your sensor where it is marked L then from the L1 on your sensor to your light/lamp.
and then just run a neutral to your sensor and from sensor to your light.
this is for your lights permanently of and your sensor will only work if the switch is on.
but if you want to have it switchin on and of just add anothe swict from you first switch to the common on you second one,then from L1 to your L on the sensor and from L2 to the sensor"s L1.EASY

Yes i have worked with SWA a number of times before & the driveway lights will take the cable.

Whole circut will be RCD protected and warning tape in ground etc

All the work I have even done has always been inspected and accepted by regs etc. etc

Actually the guy at wicks said i can get away with the lower cable. so i thought i ask here to be 110% sure. No harm in that.

Is the guy from Wickes a competent electrician and made that decision from your design? Do you know that you must notify building control prior to carrying out any work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back