PIR Monday this is the test schedule from the Rewire 2009

Can't find him on the NICIEC or competant persons register, but he still has a YELL.com entry stating NICEIC membership...

Sponsored Links
Can't find him on the NICIEC or competant persons register, but he still has a YELL.com entry stating NICEIC membership...

Doesn't mean that they were not registered at the time of install.
I know a lot of business that advertise themselves as registered but are not!
I know the scheme providers are not too happy about this, but they should do something about it!

Yes I think they should hold a register of Ex-members and dates that that they were members, especially for 6 years

The EICR you produce will be to the current edition of the regs. As for the electrician being in trouble - who with? If the installation is poor, you report this. You are not responsible for previous work. The customer can take steps to report the electrician to the NICEIC or his LABC. You have no obligation to do this. It is irrelevant if a previous report (EIC or EICR) had errors.

If the job had started early in 2008, and finished in 2009 it would not be surprising to see a 16th edition certificate.

Sponsored Links
As I say the main problem is the lack of RCD on the first 3 circuits and how to break the news to the owner that there should be...
He's stating 300mA on the first three circuits (at least I think that's what he meant), as he has the other two standalone RCDs. My money's on these turning out to be 30mA RCBOs/RCDs and all OK.

LABD took my money and test results too. They don't check them they're just happy you're qualified and have filled the paperwork in.

Also what's he written for the protective measure? I can't quite work it out?

It was a 6 week conversion finishing on 23/09/09. But I do agree the client will need to take any action against the previous "electrician". It does seem that people can fill these forms out with all kinds of nonsense without any redress, whereas the rest of us spend lots of time getting things to the regs. The fact is this installation will not comply with any edition of the regs. So it'll be code 2 on not having rcd protection on all circuits entering a bathroom at the very least. But I will recommend all 3 non rcd circuits are put on rcbos.

I wonder if a poor certificate equals a poor job. I admit I have been assuming this to be the case. Because it does not make sense to me not to show off what a great job you have done by reporting all the measurements on the certificate especially on a new install where there is beauty in the mathamatical relationships between the numbers. But I suppose it's possible to true.

I wonder if a poor certificate equals a poor job. I admit I have been assuming this to be the case.
It's clearly not inevitable (if by 'poor job' you mean poor design and/or construction), but I'm sure you're right to feel that a 'poor certificate' raises definite questions and concerns about the quality of the design and construction - since the two 'poors' often will go hand in hand!

Kind Regards, John

I have come across deliberate "mistakes" on forms before that are there to hide shortcoming in in the build quality.
The funniest one is the one where on a MWC some clown had managed to leave all of his company details off of the form by putting a DATE in the box where is says TESTED BY:

I have come across deliberate "mistakes" on forms before that are there to hide shortcoming in in the build quality.
I can believe that. I would suspect that "fully credible, but 'fake' " Schedules might not be all that common - in as much as many of those who are incompetent in terms of undertaking work (design/construction) are probably not all that good at inventing "fully credible" results!

Of course, the truly incompetent who don't even realise that they are incompetent might religiously and correctly complete the forms in a manner which reveals the incompetence of their work!

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2";p="3283248 said:
I have

Of course, the truly incompetent who don't even realise that they are incompetent might religiously and correctly complete the forms in a manner which reveals the incompetence of their work!

Kind Regards, John

I think that is what the annual visits are looking out for, they love looking down the rows of figures and spotting anomalies, but in real life there are hidden JBs etc especially when doing PIRs with the limitation of not ripping up every floorboard.
But on rewires such as in this case the figures should all work out nicely if not someone needs to learn how to use a screwdriver.

But I see "deviousoness" in some of the mistakes, which always seems to combine with difficulty in contacting, such as now trading under a different name.

The last time I saw a EIC written this bad I discovered that the householder in her 80's had been charged 5.8K for a rewire, so I called him and asked if he could clarify the extent of the rewire as she was having trouble with her lights, she range me 4 days later and said the guy offered her a full refund but she refused all but 3.5K because of the FOUR MONTHS work he had already done!

I think that is what the annual visits are looking out for, they love looking down the rows of figures and spotting anomalies, but in real life there are hidden JBs etc especially when doing PIRs with the limitation of not ripping up every floorboard. But on rewires such as in this case the figures should all work out nicely if not someone needs to learn how to use a screwdriver.
Indeed so. However, on the other side of that fence, given the real world of imperfect measurements, figures which "all work out too nicely" also give rise to the suspicion that they may be fictional figures resulting from calculation rather than measurement!
The last time I saw a EIC written this bad I discovered that the householder in her 80's had been charged 5.8K for a rewire, so I called him and asked if he could clarify the extent of the rewire as she was having trouble with her lights, she range me 4 days later and said the guy offered her a full refund but she refused all but 3.5K because of the FOUR MONTHS work he had already done!
That's a strange story. I would have thought that people like that are not usually in the habit of offering/giving refunds, let along massive 'full refunds'! You're probably lucky that you/she could even find him!

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2";p="3283278 said:
That's a strange story. I would have thought that people like that are not usually in the habit of offering/giving refunds, let along massive 'full refunds'! You're probably lucky that you/she could even find him!

Kind Regards, John

The firms name was his dads and in his grandads - he did not want the disgrace. But if I found this one.......

martinxxxxxx, not sure how everyone else is managing to read this upside down EICR !

Maybe readers are inverting it ... too technical for me.

Any chance you could hit the 'edit' button and put it the right way up ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back