PIR Occupancy sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I would like to install some PIR occupancy sensors in some go my rooms, i.e. downstairs toilet. I am just wondering where to locate it either wall or ceiling? As the door is left open a lot and people walk past the toilet could i install the PIR above the door so is not triggered off until someone enters the room. Any comments would be appreciated, Regards Richard

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with one of those push for x minutes of light buttons rather than going to the hassle of running new cabling? (Assuming the lightswitch is inside the loo of course)? Plus those IR detectors are very fickle- in a family home (where the adults might hide in the cludgy for some time, possibly with the Sunday papers or some other reading material) it'll be very annoying having to stand up every 5 minutes to get the light back on.

(Reminds me of jury service years ago in a modern court building- judge told us to fidget occasionally (a) so he'd know we were awake and (b) so the BMS wouldn't assume the court was empty and shut the heating off :) )

Sponsored Links
I must admit even when setting up my outside lamp, I wondered it the power used by the lamp at 5W was really worth switching off? Never actually measured how much the PIR takes to run, but at £4.77 per year to run that is the maximum you could save per year using a PIR with a 5W bulb. Taking 15p per unit.

I do sometimes wonder if the people who come here asking about PIRs have ever actually experienced them in real life, or if they just think they are a good way to avoid the terrible imposition of having to use a finger to work a light switch.

Any comments would be appreciated, Regards Richard
If you must go ahead with this mad scheme, I strongly advise leaving the existing switch and wiring in place so that when you eventually realise that it was a mad thing to have done (and trust me, sooner or later you will come to realise it), you'll be able to revert to sane light switching arrangements with ease.

Yes, there is a local establishment which has sensors in the gents and mid-flow you have to wave your arm behind your back.

Pain in the, eh, shoulder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back