pitched roof compared to flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a detached bungalow in sussex and am looking into an extension out the back, 15 feet square.

Roughly speaking how much more expensive is a pitched roof compared to a flat foof, (either type would be no frills) - twice as expensive? 50% more expensive?

thanks

Sponsored Links
the gap between costs has been narrowing over the years, this is largely due to the fact that you now need to install 97mm kingspan thermaroof sheets (warmdeck).

these are very expensive and you will require another 25mm layer fitted between the joists and tight up top the underside of the thermadeck.

all in all, if a pitched roof costs 10 pounds then a flat roof will cost say 7 pounds.

the gap will widen the more complex the pitched roof becomes. i.e. a straight up and down pitch is simple to build and straightforward to tile.

a hipped roof with bonnets, valleys, dormers will cost a packet.

Sponsored Links
I always ask people how many times do they look up at their roof when they are siting on the patio in summer?

I don't think flat roofs are that bad to look at, in fact how over-bearing can a big brick gable be or a mass of roof tiles? With a flat roof, all you generally see is a gutter and some soffit - and no shading in the garden from a gable either.

With regards to cost, although there is a maintenance cost, this will be what, a few hundred pounds every 15 years? If the OP is not going to be there in 15 years time its a nett saving!

plus any redecoration costs etc when the felt roof fails... and you dont get much for a couple of hundred pounds...

I always ask people how many times do they look up at their roof when they are siting on the patio in summer?

do you ever ask people how many times they look down from their bedrooms, to their ponding roofs, in the winter?

What they do in their bedrooms is not my concern :oops:

I wouldn't expect to see much if any ponding if the roof was done properly though.

But, I feel that flat roofs get a bad press and many people don't like them because other people don't like them. There are times when a flat roof would be better, and times when a pitch roof would. I certainly would not dismiss them out of hand.

But I've noticed a crusade against them in by local planners. Birmingham are refusing a flat roof on two storey extensions - even at the rear and with little sight of it from other properties. Other local LA's are going the same way - but the annoying part is the basis for this is 'maintenance issues' which shows how out of date their thinking is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back