Pitched or Flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

planning an extension on back of the house, roughly how much more would a pitched roof with sky light be, as opposed to a flat roof? 5.6m wide*3m.
Ta
Brewerjim

Sponsored Links
The difference in cost betwixt a flattie and a pitched (habitable of course) has been getting ever closer over the years. There is not the huge difference as there once was.

However, the massive gulf in difference in performance, longevity and aesthetics is still the same.

Pitched every time and twice on Sundays.

Note to add: From a practical point of view, a pitched roof is not always achievable so the flattie will always live on.

Thanks noseall, i thought as much, i'm just debating how much 'appearance' matters on a 1950's semi. I'd prefer a pitched roof but if the difference is in the 1000's i look a at a flat one.

Thanks noseall, i thought as much, i'm just debating how much 'appearance' matters on a 1950's semi. I'd prefer a pitched roof but if the difference is in the 1000's i look a at a flat one.
Get it felted with a top spec system by a reputable "felt" roofer and it will last 30 years.Icopol techno torch with grooves(sbs) is very good,google it as long as its layed onto a decent underlay the jobs a good un.

Sponsored Links
If going flat, I'd go EPDM or Fibreglass, Depending on budget etc etc.

If its a new extension then them 2 flat roof coverings are far superior than felt.

Felt - 15-20yrs max

EPDM 20-50yrs ongoing

FG - Same as EPDM if fitted well but costs hell of alot more than both of the above, But does vary from company 2 company. and can also look crap.

Try and google some pics of a FG flat roof and an EPDM flat roof.....I know looks aint everything but it may swing a persons decision if price is taken into account.

all flat roofs (except lead) will run out of life before a good slate or tiled roof. If it's longlife you want then no contest.

If going flat, I'd go EPDM or Fibreglass, Depending on budget etc etc.

If its a new extension then them 2 flat roof coverings are far superior than felt.

Felt - 15-20yrs max

EPDM 20-50yrs ongoing

FG - Same as EPDM if fitted well but costs hell of alot more than both of the above, But does vary from company 2 company. and can also look crap.

Try and google some pics of a FG flat roof and an EPDM flat roof.....I know looks aint everything but it may swing a persons decision if price is taken into account.
I do beg to differ = felt roof 15-20 years max,not so, flat roof on my dads house is 29 years old and still going strong,bouder 2 layer ;) Felt roofs have a bad name because of the jokers doing them.At the end of the day slate is best but sometimes flat roofs must be done.For the record im replacing a fibre glass roof on a local factory appx 5 years old.Like i said "jokers".I also do epdm when a customer requires it but if i have any say then its felt BUT only the best,you get what you pay for.The draw back with epdm is you get every tom dick and harry fitting it,make sure you get a "Roofer" and you will be ok. ;)

all flat roofs (except lead) will run out of life before a good slate or tiled roof. If it's longlife you want then no contest.
He has already stated that its down to the price that he is going for a flat roof. :rolleyes:

he said if the difference is £1000s then he would go flat... Anyway for someone who preaches you only get what you pay for and you use only the best mats . why do you not advise tile or slate?

Are you felt flat roofer or a tiler/slater?

It doesn't sound like he's applied for planning permission yet.

He has already stated that its down to the price that he is going for a flat roof. :rolleyes:

he said if the difference is £1000s then he would go flat... Anyway for someone who preaches you only get what you pay for and you use only the best mats . why do you not advise tile or slate?

Are you felt flat roofer or a tiler/slater?
First off appoligies for my mistake,i read his post wrong,secondly Durh i said slates are best have you not took you medication again.Im one of the few people that is time served at both :LOL::

i only use top quality mats.. and you wont find a can of black jack in any of my vans....

i'll let you ponder over my previous post..

I saw stainless steel sheets, with a lead coating for appearance, on a TV prog about restoration of old house. I imagine it would last an extremely long time, and not be liable to theft or damage like lead.

Anyone tried it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back