Pitched or Flat?

Sponsored Links
i only use top quality mats.. and you wont find a can of black jack in any of my vans....

i'll let you ponder over my previous post..
Thanks for letting me ponder,Im now pondering,I shall continue to pondor,i shall let you know the outcome of my pondering. :idea:
Sorry for delay but been pondering.I dont use black jack and have never claimed to use black jack,do you?I did advise a guy to use black jack when he was wanting to repair his sarkin felt from the inside.The reason i said black jack as silicone and other sealents are not compatible with bitumes products.Personally i would fix such repairs from the top side but OP was wanting to know another way from the inside.Ill leave you to ponder over this. :rolleyes:

I dont need to ponder.. I'm time served.
I had heard you served time over that debacle in the public toilets lol.Ive now decided to call it one nil to me and am now hitting the ignore button so any more posts from you i wont have the pleasure of reading.Bye sexy and keep out of trouble oh and keep taking the tablets.

Sponsored Links
I saw stainless steel sheets, with a lead coating for appearance, on a TV prog about restoration of old house. I imagine it would last an extremely long time, and not be liable to theft or damage like lead.

Anyone tried it?

That'll be Tern coated stainless you refer to. Coated with a sort of lead alloy like solder for ease of jointing with methods like lead burning although I've never seen that done. In appearance it looks like dull silvery metal rather than lead.
It does have some advantages over lead, firstly it's cheaper, lighter and useable in longer lenghts so an advantage when the total drop of the gutters is limited. As there is less working of this sort and bays tend to be larger it can often be quicker to install.
Of course there are disadvantages but these are generally in the fitting. Stainless isn't as easily worked as lead so the complex shapes possible in lead aren't possible in TCS. Whereas lead can be worked with hand tools such as dressers and bossing mallets the TCS requires bending gear, adding to expense. In some respects copper and zinc behave the same. Also it's a pain to use in that you will probably end up with a cut or nick off the sharp edges but the trade off is that you aren't lifting great heavy lumps of lead.
One other thing is that it's noisier than lead, in hot weather it creaks and bangs as it heats and cools although there isn't the physical cracking common in lead and in a hail storm or heavy rain you can really hear it if you are underneath it.
Less likely to be stolen? Probably, despite stainless being a decent price as scrap it's harder to rip up and takes up much more space for the same value of lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back