Planning Drawings for the extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please could someone recommend what else is required to submit the planning plans to the council.The technician is asking for £600 to draw the plans which is outrageous.

I just need a simple extension and the it falls outside of the permitted planning.The planning officer at the council suggested that as long as the plans are 1:100 or 1:50 it would be acceptable.
Could someone advice what sort of paper i can draw these for these to be compliant.

Or if someone here can draw these for me i would be grateful and obviously pay for the service provided it is reasonable.Please pm me if possible.I can provide all the dimensions for the house precisely to the inch.

Someone has just done exactly what i need but the house size is different otherwise i would have used the same for the planning.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You may get pelters from the forum regulars for this post

Seriously though, £600 sounds on the cheap side unless what you propose is a porch.

What type of extension is it?

you need existing elevations, floor plans, roof plans
same again for proposed
then you 1:500 and 1:1250 block plan and location plan

then you need to complete the application on the planning portal or submit by post.

somebody who knows what they are doing will get it validated straight away, somebody who doesnt will probably get it thrown back.

You are not paying for a monkey just to knock out some plans. You are paying for someone to interpret your requirements, design an extension, it's use, it's appearance, it's specification, and to ensure that what you want or need conforms to the council's planning policies, other regulations, and can actually be built and be built for a sum that you can afford.

Or you can pay someone as little as you can and get a pile of shiite.

Sponsored Links
Here's a typical example from my £19.99 range. Plus £3.50 if you want the priority express 14 day service.
PM me if you're interested. (y)

foto_no_exif (1).jpg

Here's a typical example from my £19.99 range. Plus £3.50 if you want the priority express 14 day service.
PM me if you're interested. (y)

View attachment 204811

How much for amendments? I'd want a taller chimney.

£600 sounds like a good price. I'm paying £600 for drawing and measuring of current building, £600 for drawings with extension and elevations, and submission to local council, so £1200 total. Then another £1200 for Building Regs drawings, and an as yet unknown fee for an engineer spec.

Plus any 'disbursements' .

I've done submissions using something as simple as Visio in the past. Painful but possible. £600 isn't too bad really. Depends how much you value your time... Most of my drawing used to get done on my boss's time.

Apolgies as i did not explain clearer above.I own a semi detached house and got planning back in 2017 for side extension( double storey) and rear extension.
I would now like to add a first floor rear extension above the kitchen.

So basically i paid nearly £1000 for my initial application.So same block plan,location plan as per the A3 paper given to me by the architect at that time.
Now if i need to add another room at the back the architect is asking for £600 again just to add a room at the back.The roof elevation does not change but just a hipped roof gets added to it.Am i being unreasonable.

You are not paying for a monkey just to knock out some plans. You are paying for someone to interpret your requirements, design an extension, it's use, it's appearance, it's specification, and to ensure that what you want or need conforms to the council's planning policies, other regulations, and can actually be built and be built for a sum that you can afford.

Or you can pay someone as little as you can and get a pile of shiite.
It is just a bog standard square room above the rear kitchen extension with a hipped rood.I belive £8k to 10k should be sufficient for all the shell.

Apolgies as i did not explain clearer above.I own a semi detached house and got planning back in 2017 for side extension( double storey) and rear extension.
I would now like to add a first floor rear extension above the kitchen.

So basically i paid nearly £1000 for my initial application.So same block plan,location plan as per the A3 paper given to me by the architect at that time.
Now if i need to add another room at the back the architect is asking for £600 again just to add a room at the back.The roof elevation does not change but just a hipped roof gets added to it.Am i being unreasonable.

Is it the same architect as last time? If it's not, they will want to re-measure everything themselves. And will need to re-draw everything, as they don't own the copyright on the previous drawings.

At £600 just to add a room onto an existing drawing, I'm thinking of selling up and moving to wherever the OP lives.

Is it the same architect as last time? If it's not, they will want to re-measure everything themselves. And will need to re-draw everything, as they don't own the copyright on the previous drawings.
And no .dwg file to open up and edit

No it is not the same architect.Also what is with copywright of the drawings.The architect was an old gentleman who has now sadly passed away and no way i would get the drawings from him.

I nearly paid £1000 and it is outrageous if a new architect has to measure everything again specially when the structure is just above the rear kitchen extension, and a separate room(3x4metre).

As per the guidelines it cannot be more than half the width of the original house and should not protude more than 45 degrees of the neighbour window.I am semi detached with highway on the side so issue with blocking light or anything with the neighbour.

Last edited:
And yet when you bought your last house you probably didn't bat an eye at the £1000 or whatever for 10 hours work. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back