Planning permission needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of a cellar conversion.

Currently we have a 'light well' a rectangular pit open to the outside world at street level but in my front garden (4ft from the pavement behind a low wall) which lets light down 5ft to a window which is effectively in the cellar wall.

The cellar will be turned into a useable room (home cinema).

My plan is to remove the window in the cellar and to add a double glazed unit at the top of the 'light well' at an angle. The window I plan to use will open outwards from the inside hence allowing escape in that direction (more than the current window does!).

To place the new unit I would need to build up maybe an extra 2 brick hights at the back of the 'light well' and remove a brick at the front, this will give the window unit a slope and allow more light in.

Someone has mentioned that they think I may need planning permission for this but after some research I can't find any regulations about such a thing. Do we have any experts out there who can tell me please?

MB

Sponsored Links
Out of interest how high is the ceiling. agree though you'll probably need profressional advice (which you certainly won't be able to get from me :LOL:)

Oh dear

Every question I have asked here has been in contravention of the forum rules. However I will continue.

The room itself is 210mm high, however if the window is removed the entrance to the light well will be about a meter from the ground, with enough room for a person to fit in the space and then climb to the new window. Its like a big windowsill really with a window above it.

I think what I am actually talking about is not planning permission but Building Regulations, these stipulate that there must be two exists to any habitable room and that there must be an opening of 400x400mm to escape from. Obviously we have the stairs down but I need to rig this window so it can be used as an escape route.

I've probably answered my own question now. As long as the bottom of this window is less that 1100mm from the ground or in this case the sill, and it has an opening of more than 400x400 it should count as a means of excape and hence fullfil building regs

Do you need a certificate of conformance for building regs? Does it have to be inspected?

MB

Pro

Sponsored Links
give the building control a ring and they will give you the best advice. you may be able to still use it, but you just wont be able to class it as such if you come to sell it etc

You will need to probably submit a building regs notice or add an ammendment if you have already done so and yes they will inspect it and when its all done to their satisfaction they will issue you with a certificate. easiest thing to do is to get an architect on board

chappers said:
You will need to probably submit a building regs notice or add an ammendment if you have already done so and yes they will inspect it and when its all done to their satisfaction they will issue you with a certificate. easiest thing to do is to get an architect on board

Hells Bells that sounds like an expensive proposition!

Its only a 4x3m cellar and the whole job including tanking won't be more than £5500!

I expect an archetect will want more then that to get out of bed won't they?

MB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back