Planning Permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a website where I can find all local planning application that anyone can give me a link to

I have found one with a lot of recent applications on , it's a government website, but the particular address I'm looking for isn't there, does this mean they haven't applied

Reason I ask it my neighbour has built an extension on the back of his house , single storey lean to pitched roof, full width of house, 10m Ish by about 8m Ish

Should I not have had a letter through about this proposed build if he did have planning?

Sponsored Links
You will find it on your Local Authority's website under planning applications, if you type the address or postcode in then it should find the application if it exists. Applications will go back to when the electronic records began, around 2000. Yes if you are an immediate neighbour you should have received a notification letter. At that size PP was definitely required.

This extension would definitely need planning permission and you should have been written to. Sounds like a very large extension.

I bet what has happened here is that the government announced last summer that they might try and relax the planning rules to possibly allow extensions up to 8m long without planning permission. This was just an idea and no rules have actually changed. However virtually every customer I see thinks that they can build 8m without PP.

You might find that he has built it believing it doesnt need PP but it does. Try to find it on you local council website or speak your local planning enforcement office

Is there a website where I can find all local planning application that anyone can give me a link to

I have found one with a lot of recent applications on , it's a government website, but the particular address I'm looking for isn't there, does this mean they haven't applied

Reason I ask it my neighbour has built an extension on the back of his house , single storey lean to pitched roof, full width of house, 10m Ish by about 8m Ish

Should I not have had a letter through about this proposed build if he did have planning?

Can't be much pitch on that roof !

Sponsored Links
This extension would definitely need planning permission and you should have been written to. Sounds like a very large extension.

I bet what has happened here is that the government announced last summer that they might try and relax the planning rules to possibly allow extensions up to 8m long without planning permission. This was just an idea and no rules have actually changed. However virtually every customer I see thinks that they can build 8m without PP.

You might find that he has built it believing it doesnt need PP but it does. Try to find it on you local council website or speak your local planning enforcement office

Agreed, and its often difficult to try to explain to people that what they think they can do is simply not true. Others insist on holding out on projects in the hope the rules are changed!

To the OP, go to the website of your local council and search their planning applications page. If you cannot find an application then you can feel free to call the planning department to find out more. They may then refer the matter to the enforcement officer / team.

However virtually every customer I see thinks that they can build 8m without PP.

That's my own experience as well, and I'm sure that of other designers in this forum.
Too many people read the Daily Torygraph, which is always stirring things up in the planning area and giving people the wrong impression.

Others insist on holding out on projects in the hope the rules are changed!

They probably will change, but nothing like 8m. FWIW my bet is 4m for a semi and 5 - or possibly 6 - for a detached. Be interesting to start a book on it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back