planning permisssion for deck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a pre-existing deck hanging off my house at groud floor level. The deck is 1.3m high and measures 5m x 1m. The deck is part of the original design of the house when built in the 60's and all the house in the terrace have this feature.

I would like to extend to extend the deck to maje it 2.4m wide so it is a useable area. Several of my neighbours have done this and I know they didn't get any form of planning permission. I have agreed the deck design of the extended deck with the neighbours.

My question is:
1) do i need planning permission to alter the curent layout of the decking
2) If i go ahead without permission, is it likely that when my drain for the new ensuite (located in the back garden) is inspected by building control they start asking questions about the deck?

Appreciate the advice.

Regards

James

Sponsored Links
1) do i need planning permission to alter the curent layout of the decking
Whilst you can repair & maintain the existing deck, extending it will almost certainly require PP & you should check with your Planning Dept. PP is usually refused as a result of neighbour objections so, if you have them on side, it may well be plain sailing. If you need PP & at that at that height, you will also need Building Regs. compliance & I’m not sure what that would involve. Weather or not your neighbours needed PP depends if they did the work prior to Oct 2008. I assume you’ve visited the Planning Portal;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/decking/

2) If i go ahead without permission, is it likely that when my drain for the new ensuite (located in the back garden) is inspected by building control they start asking questions about the deck?
Possibly but almost impossible to say; not worth the risk IMO.

Thanks for the reply. What is the likely cost of getting PP?

Can I draw scale diagrams myself without the need of a costly archictect?

What are the consquences if the council did discover there was no planning permission?

Cheers

What is the likely cost of getting PP? Can I draw scale diagrams myself without the need of a costly archictect?
You don’t need an architect, all you need are basic scale drawings showing the current layout & new proposals; the drawings can be A4. Visit the Planning Portal which gives information on what the drawings need to provide, guide you through the submission process & calculate your fee;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/planning/
If you need PP, you will probably require Building Regulations submission & an a separate fee for inspection.

What are the consquences if the council did discover there was no planning permission?
Enforcement action; making you either apply for retrospective PP (more expensive) or tear down the new bit & revert to status quo. After 4 years you cannot be served with an enforcement notice but it will still be recorded as unauthorised building work which could give problems with your LA searches when you come to sell up.

Sponsored Links
Referring back to your initial query, I consider extending the existing decking woudl require consent. If the Council discover that you have carried out works in breach of planning law, then one of two things are likely to happen:
1) they will invite you to submit a retrospective application. If this is the case then there is a reasonable likelihood that the application will be supported. Authorities shouldnt encourage retrospective applications if the development is so bad they are likely to refuse it.
2) they will serve an Enforcement Notice. This would encompass details of what needs to be done to remedy the breach e.g. removal of the decking back to its original form, and a timescale for doing so. However, you have a brief period within which you can lodge an appeal should this arise.

Regards

Rob Duncan

Hi there robduncanplanning; I see Mods have deleted for advertising, I assume it was you but I’ve no real way of telling! Isn’t your post more or less what I said? It’s always good to have professional input, particularly in this field but if you’ve nothing to add other than advertising, please don’t bother.

Hi Richard

It was me - i'd added my web address to the bottom not realising that this was in breach of the rules. Essentially yes, confirming your thoughts.

Regards

Rob Duncan

It was me - i'd added my web address to the bottom not realising that this was in breach of the rules. Essentially yes, confirming your thoughts.
OK, hopefully your personal link was a genuine mistake ;) . We get spammed so often on here with no other intention than to advertise website links; it’s so obvious, totally boring & wastes a lot of time.

We have many professional contributors in the trade sections of this forum that do their best not to disappoint but it’s difficult to be "master of all trades" & there are a few who will quickly shoot you down if you get it even slightly wrong. It’s always great to have specific professional input rather than trolling so, if you really are genuine, a warm welcome. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back