Plaster board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Could someone please tell me if the board in the attached jpg would be a suitable choice for a shower cubicle? and if it isnt, would it just be frowned upon our would be against any regs?

Many thanks? :)

Sponsored Links
Can't tell from the pic what the board is but if it's plasterboard, it won't be acceptable for a shower cubicle. Use Hardibacker boarrd or equivalent.

Sponsored Links
That's just normal plasterboard! And we would not use that inside a shower enclosure.

By the time you buy the tanking kit you may as well use Aquapanel.

would the building regs find this adequate? I may invite my builder to this thread eventually. but I will keep their ID private for now.

For the record I was informed by their director that " Having checked the construction of the shower today it is built with moisture resistant plasterboard and it is duplex board on the external walls as per all the relevant technical standards"

so I'm jut really checking that what he is saying is correct?

It's normal plasterboard. If that gets wet, it disintegrates.
I wouldn't fit it around a shower area.

However plenty of people do, and in many cases it lasts for years with no problems at all. If tanked/sealed, then it is highly likely there won't be any problems.

Whether it is 'wrong' or not really depends on what was originally specified for the job.

It's normal plasterboard. If that gets wet, it disintegrates.
I wouldn't fit it around a shower area.

However plenty of people do, and in many cases it lasts for years with no problems at all. If tanked/sealed, then it is highly likely there won't be any problems.

Whether it is 'wrong' or not really depends on what was originally specified for the job.

This is a new build, well 4-5 years ago. it is not tanked, i was told by their directors that this is not a requirement .

No regs against it. Maybe something in the NHBC gumff, can't be bothered to check tonight. There is more to this thread than just a quick question, care to elaborate?

No its not a requirement unless the tilers are crap, and then it becomes a good idea.

If you are trying to pursue a claim, then you wont have one.

HI freddymercurystwin,

ye basically i was here 1.5 years ago, tiles falling off shower cubicle. builder comes out and agrees to stripback replace plasterboard, and retile since non stanrd board was used. im im in the same place again an yet grout is perfect!! bottom row tiles at rear are on diaganilly and packed out with adheaisve due to bad fit of tray. the whole cubicle is mold city behind teh tiles. They have put a band aid on this, and im not happy. im replacing it all my self, aquapanel the lot!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back