Plaster boarding horror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello as this forum has people from all walks of life is there anyone that knowes about plaster boarding ?

The reason I ask is I'm having a bathroom fitted by a large DIY store and it's been one mess after another. They've now fitted standard moisture resistant British gypsum plaster board. So my questions are

1) should there be gaps it's wonky as feck some of gaps are between 1-2cm big. I know you can use plaster tape but what's the largest gap you can use the stuff on ?
2) there tiling straight onto this no finisher or nothing straight onto standard moisture resistant board
3) could they just drop grout into these holes and hope and pray
4) what's the thickness of the grout should they using as some of wall are so badly done it's going to take at least 1.5cm bed of grout in areas to get the tiles to lie level ?

I know the clear answer would be throw um off site but I have no bath or sink or flushing loo so I'm stuck in middle at mo

Sponsored Links
Give us some photos, And if it is as bad as you make it sound then I think all the replies will be the same... ;)

Yep,, i'm with Roy, a photo or two would be useful. There's no excuse for gaps as big as you say,,,, rough,, but post a pic.

is there anyone that knowes about plaster boarding ?
You have come to the right place

1) should there be gaps it's wonky as f**k some of gaps are between 1-2cm big. I know you can use plaster tape but what's the largest gap you can use the stuff on ?
There is not a regulation on gap sizes, but the standard of work does not sound too good.
2) there tiling straight onto this no finisher or nothing straight onto standard moisture resistant board.
Tiles to boards is best method, with regards to maximum weight of tiles the wall can carry, no plaster is required and MR boards are designed to be tiled straight on to. But I would expect joints to be sealed.
3) could they just drop grout into these holes and hope and pray
They could!
4) what's the thickness of the grout should they using as some of wall are so badly done it's going to take at least 1.5cm bed of grout in areas to get the tiles to lie level ?
You mean adhesive?
15mm can be dealt with.
I know the clear answer would be throw um off site but I have no bath or sink or flushing loo so I'm stuck in middle at mo
They cannot legally leave you without a functional toilet.

Sponsored Links
just sorting the pics out but on your last comment they left the toilet bowl and a bucket

11uugyh.jpg

2q1x9p2.jpg

k0ooyh.jpg

33vbytv.jpg

2yy6ph1.jpg

2mxen7l.jpg

1552v5k.jpg

tho this is only a handful of pics and pics can only tell you so much you would to come see to see how bad it is

Ermm... That's terrible...!

And moisture resistant board is green!

Well it had moisture resistance factor 15 on the back isn't that tile backer your referring too ?

shocking it looks like those boards was cut and put up by someone from the local kinder garden looks like they cant cut a straight board and don't know how to use a level or straight edge gaps are shocking, don't let them tile it go back to the large diy store who ever they are armed with these pics

They are not going to reuse those manky pipes are they?

Well it was 3 young lads who had to ask how to mix waterproofer into the render underneath.

I just honestly don't know what to do if I say I want that redoing this work is gonna end up into a 3 week mess of no bathroom.

But if I let um carry on then I don't hold much hope for there tiling.

Re :pipes not a clue I think so I've pretty much had to bully um into taking the waste pipes out

Terrible workmanship. I know it's going to be tiled but that really is bad. In the last pic, the plasterboard is touching the concrete floor,, not good. It also looks as though some of the joints in the boards don't have a noggin behind them, some boards are damaged, and as others have said, the joints would be better taped for a stronger job. Who is the big DIY store that is doing the job,,,,, the first initial,, and as Joe said, what about the pipework etc. You must find out what's going on, i'd contact the store if it was me.

I just honestly don't know what to do if I say I want that redoing this work is gonna end up into a 3 week mess of no bathroom.

But if I let um carry on then I don't hold much hope for there tiling.
3 weeks with no bathroom is better than a life time with a sh*t bathroom can you post a pic of the whole window so we can see how bad the reveals are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back