PLASTER CRACKING -MORE THAN A HAIRLINE?

But he weakens our economy. He is probably living in a sublet wardrobe. We will all suffer when the UK goes titts up - as it is doing. He will send his money overseas to the richest country in Europe. WTF's he doing here?

Load of xenophobic nonsense, joe.

Will you also want to take back the hundreds of thousands of Brits working abroad? Or the 30,000 or so claiming benefit in the Costa's in Spain, never mind the home grown dossers I know.

We are living in a free market , with freedom of movement. That's what makes economies thrive ..Protectionism died a death many years ago. The most successful cities in the world are packed with immigrants

Will you also turn away the billions invested in this country by foreign firms?

Weakens the economy? Come on, learn at least a little about economics ! Have a look at what the CBI say on the issue,the 'captains of industry 'who drive the economy hardly a left wing outfit.

People who do a good job at competitive rates will keep working, people who don't are forced out of the market. What weakens the economy is people who think they have a right to work because they are born here, people who have a sense of entitlement. Why do you think cars, steel, trains, white goods etc are not made any more?

If you think having dearer services makes the economy stronger ........ :rolleyes:

It's in my and your self interest to stop other people doing a job to keep our rates up and not have to push ourselves on quality service , but please don't try and dress it up as being good for the country

Sponsored Links
Sending money out of the country will weaken the economy. You and I spend it here and support the people dependent on our wages (white goods etc). Plus, given time, the single male foreigner living in a cheap bedsit will push the price down so low that a Brit with kids and a mortgage won't be able to compete - and will lose his house. It's YOU that will suffer in the not-so-long term. Smell the coffee - it's YOUR future on the line. (Even though you are a second generation Pole)

Sending money out of the country will weaken the economy. You and I spend it here and support the people dependent on our wages (white goods etc). Plus, given time, the single male foreigner living in a cheap bedsit will push the price down so low that a Brit with kids and a mortgage won't be able to compete - and will lose his house. It's YOU that will suffer in the not-so-long term. Smell the coffee - it's YOUR future on the line. (Even though you are a second generation Pole)

Joe what makes you think I'm a second generation Pole?

I'm not insulted that you think so, as (for example) my Yorkshire born grandfather served with Poles in WWII, without whom we would not have the freedom to disagree now!

I can see this might turn into a 'heated debate', but would you also ban Brits abroad from sending money into this country? Would you turn away foreign investors?
Don't confuse your self interest with the good of the country. If you want to justify it in terms of economics, then stick to economics, not a tired cliched stereotype of johnny foreigner stealing our jobs.

I mean you've just said "He doesn't need to hose it he needs to PVA it to control the suction. Where's he been for the past 20 years if he doesn't know that?" about a Brit ! - being a chancer or not has got nothing to do with where you are from

Joe,

Have a read of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4474997.stm

http://www.cbi.org.uk/ndbs/press.ns...5ade62c325697b1e80257838006153c0?OpenDocument

Or From the London School of Economics re immigration

Immigration to the UK had been rising from 1995 to 2008. Inflows to the UK had been falling since 2006 and now the stock of immigrants has also fallen back. This is because immigration almost always falls during a recession.

The UK has a lower share of immigrants in its total population – (10.2%) than Australia (25%), Germany (12.9%) or the United States (13.6%).

Compared with the UK-born, immigrants are younger and better educated. The most recent immigrants are even more educated.
Immigrants are concentrated in London.

Aside from arrivals from other members of the European Union (EU), the number of new immigrants who are allowed to work in the UK is now controlled by the government through a ‘points’ system.

Immigrants, on average, are less likely to be in social housing than people born in the UK, even when the immigrant is from a developing country.

There are potential economic benefits associated with migration, especially to fill gaps in the UK labour market – where there are shortages of workers, whether high- or low-skilled. While there may be costs to particular groups, there is little evidence of an overall negative impact on jobs or wages.

- Source LSE Centre for Economic Performance: Immigration and the UK Labour Market 2010

Facts, Joe, written by people who study the economy, not people who assume people from abroad live in wardrobes !

Sponsored Links
Discussed with plasterer who is a local Brit with a good rep,he's done 5 of my friends houses over past 10yrs been in trade for over 20yr.he's admitted it's his fault ad he didn't realise the house was so dry.he will float n boat if I want but he said this time he will have to soak the Walls with a hose(I've just fitted 25sqm of reclaimed parquet and I don't want it getting wet)he is being very co-operative.Wat to do as court isn't an option.he is doing the job but now I'm so confused as I can't have it cracking again.tried to upload pics but can't on iphone
when you say hes done 5 of your friends houses were they float and set or just skim? there is a big difference, im afraid you shouldent have laid your flooring, i advised you sort the walls out before any fixtures or fittings went in but i cant se the floor being a problem, not for someone who knows what hes doing anyway

joe he doesent live in a wardrobe or bedsit or send his money home hes been here for ten years and have set up home with a british girlfriend and is a good grafter

You people just aren't getting it are you? 3 out of 4 jobs go to immigrants.

The UK is going bust. Greece,Ireland,Portugal,Italy,Spain - and the UK is next. That's not my prediction - that is what the economists of the world say. As the economy fails then so will the rates of pay earned fall as everyone scratches around in a shrinking market. The Brit with a mortgage can't work for minimum wage - yet the Pole who earns £50 per week in Poland is quite happy to. It's already started. I can't charge anywhere near what I did 5 years ago (even though I'm not expensive) - Johnny Pole will get the job. Luckily, I can buy are renovate houses, even though there's no money in that either. The UK will be next to default after Italy. It's just simple maths. No need to be an economist.

The other 5 houses were dot n dab
i wonder why that was? you know that just because he says hes been in the trade for 20 years it doesn't mean hes any good and that he is competent at floating, thats why i expect the other houses may have been dot and dabbed, it would be good to see some pics of the job we are talking about if you can get them on

I can't charge anywhere near what I did 5 years ago (even though I'm not expensive)
joe whats killing the plastering prices is the amout of plasterers and so called plasterers there are now we have a college that churns out hundreds a year with the so called city and guilds 6000 series which isent worth a bolt, also the weekenders and plastering evening classes that why you cant charge much, do you think the sparkies and gas fitters would still be able to charge sky high prices if you had 4 day courses and after that you can go out there and call yourself a sparkie or gas fitter? lol no they wouldent thats why they can charge top money also because the goverment says no one else can touch gas or electrics and most things they do they have to give certificates, now if we go back to what i said earlier if you make it so that only qualified, plasterers can work then you will be able to charge more, "if your qualified or get qualified that is".

What's qualified though? It used to be a four year apprenticeship. That would rule out RichardC who (like me) is self-taught. Maybe some kind of test would be an idea at a test centre?

he didn't realise the house was so dry. he will float n boat if I want but he said this time he will have to soak the Walls with a hose
This is the biggest clue to his inexperience & why his first attempt failed. Unless it’s a new build the walls will be very dry & if he’d any experience at render float & set he would know hosing down is normal procedure. He’s failed to control the suction & it’s killed your render base, it may not even be secure enough to take dot & dab.
The other 5 houses were dot n dab
He’s just a board skimmer who fancied a go at float & set; unfortunately for you he’s got it totally wrong & you’re the one to suffer. :cry:

What's qualified though? It used to be a four year apprenticeship. That would rule out RichardC who (like me) is self-taught. Maybe some kind of test would be an idea at a test centre?
joe i believe the best way to make sure everyone is qualified is already out there they just have to make sure everyone is up to that standard and thats the nvq2 osat onsite assessment, where some one comes out to your place of work to check your work in an actual working environment otherwise if its done at a test center it will be like just another form of college where they mark your work off but don't know how well you are going ro perform in the real world, at the moment i think the nvq2 osat is linked to the cscs card and making money, but it is one of the only ways for an employer to know that he has proven himself out onsite,
the city and guilds qualification used to be the one to go for but has been watered down into sections that you can get in a few days, even if you have a city and guilds advanced craft like me you still cant get a blue cscs skills card, why? i asked them and they said i would have to go for an nvq level2 to get one because none of my work out onsite has been seen, so thats what i done it cost me £550 to do it, if they was to take the nvq2 as a bench mark for everyone to get qualified it would help clean things up
but if they decided to up the anti by making it a higher qualification that was needed then i would have to get that as well, but i think the nvq standard is ample, and i would see no problem in spreads such as yourself and richard c passing it

picture this scenario joe 2 people talking in a different country maybe germany australia or where ever one says to the other did you know that in england you dont need qualifications to become a plasterer, carpenter, bricklayer, or plumber or tiler?, really? the other one asks, lets go there make some money, british trades must be seen as a joke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back