plasterboard sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to order some plasterboard for my new extension, the building regs mention that 12.5mm thickness is required for the stud walls (2400 x 1200).

What thickness should i go for on the ceiling, i have been advised to go for 1800 x 900, are these available in 12.5 or will 9mm thickness be sufficient

thanks

tim

Sponsored Links
Tim
Usual thickness for ceilings is 9.5mm but I just used 12.7mm foil backed for my single story extension to give it a bit more insulation; there’s not much difference in the price of foil backed if you go to the right supplier & negotiate & in my view it’s worth using on a single story extension or on the top floor below a roof void.

I would go for full size boards as you will have less joins, although I appreciate the smaller boards are lighter! Fitting the larger boards is not quiet as difficult as it may appear at first, I just fitted 6 with only my wife helping me - see the post about plasterboard jack lift.

Sorry to disagree, and it's a bit late now anyway, but it's a mistake to use 2400x1200 boards for ceilings. Use 1800x900 or smaller, depending on what you can find. Leave 5mm gaps between the boards. Fill the gaps with plaster, cover with scrim tape and then finish as normal.

Why? Well, ease of handling of course, but mainly to minimse cracking between sheets.

A bit late :eek: ! jeeze thats a good one :rolleyes: It’s been 2 ½ years & you have the nerve to come on here with your first post with that one!

I'm not sure this isn't yet another "wind up" but only a complete numpty replies to a 2 1/2 year old post. I’m NOT sorry to say I totally disagree with you because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. If you’ve nothing constructive to add don’t bother posting. :evil:

Sponsored Links
A bit late :eek: ! jeeze thats a good one :rolleyes: It’s been 2 ½ years & you have the nerve to come on here with your first post with that one! I'm not sure this isn't yet another "wind up" but only a complete numpty replies to a 2 1/2 year old post.
My post was valid and helpful, yours of no value to anyone. It's NEVER too late. Anyone looking here for advice on plasterboarding ceilings would have picked up the old post and assumed the suggestion of using 2400x1200 boards to be sound. It isn't. 2400x1200 may be what many in the trade use, but only out of laziness and/or lack of training.

I’m NOT sorry to say I totally disagree with you because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. If you’ve nothing constructive to add don’t bother posting. :evil:
You can disagree all you like, but you're wrong. Don't believe me? Perhaps you'll believe Jeff Howell:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...-board-and-electical-systems-inspections.html

Don't believe Jeff? Then it's time you went back to school. Or retired. The fact is that you are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Reverting to my point above about the trade, which category do you fall into - lazy or ignorant?

This has just got to be a wind up from yet another multiple identity; lets see now who have I upset recently :LOL: ! I have no idea who Jef Howell is but if you want to take advice from a, so called, ex builder/wanna be Telegraph journalist feel free to go ahead but that’s strictly DIY advice for DIYers who, presumably, can't handle a full size boards :rolleyes: if you fit into that category then, fine, go ahead & use smaller boards.

How do you equate using a greater number of smaller boards on a given size ceiling with less risk of cracks. Unless you have a pet elephant/overweight partner upstairs, ceiling boards will only EVER crack on a join, if they crack anywhere else, they were either incorrectly laid or there is something seriously wrong with the joist sizes or the joist span. Joins = potential for cracks! I don’t know any builder/developer (& I know one or two) or any pro plasterer that would use anything other than full size boards.

School, retire you really are a complete PART my friend :LOL: :LOL: go back to DIY land & Pollyfilla. ;)

:eek: oooh wind ups, multiple identities, :cool: jeeze do people really do such things on this forum :LOL: i may have to be more careful in future :oops:

Sorry mr gumby, Richards post in its entirety is correct and proffessionally accurate.
Alastair - You don't know me from Adam, so I'm not asking you to take my word for it, but are you saying Jeff Howell is wrong? I don't agree with everything he says, but some things are matters of fact rather than opinion, and I believe this is one of them.

Given the choice between Jeff's view and that of just about every professional I've worked with, I'd take Jeff's almost every time.

A high proportion of British tradesmen do the minimum they can get away with and have no interest in doing the job 'properly' or to the highest standard, no pride in their work. They do things the way they've always done them (or got away with doing them) with little thought and no real idea why they do them that way. (I recognise that there are plenty of exceptions).

It isn't just plasterers. A plumber recently told me I was nuts for insulating central heating pipes. I asked a brickie to use lime mortar on a job; he reluctantly agreed but, as soon as my back was turned, started adding plasticiser, to make his job easier. There are plenty more stories where those came from.

Plasters use 2400x1200 boards on ceilings because it's quicker and they pocket more profit. They couldn't care less what the job looks like a year or two down the line.

Jeff also states "use 600mm wide plank boards".

WTF?!

i use the corresponding board to suit the joist spacings. i.e. 400 c/c joist spacing i use 2400mm long boards, 450mm c/c joist spacing i use 1800mm long boards.

always stagger the boards.

i have not had any prob's yet. mind it is only my 27th year in the business, still time for those cracks to appear i suppose. :rolleyes:

hi mr gumby,
as a pro we do not use 8x4 sheets to save time or money!!!!
it is because thats the specifications on the drawings we work from, and is more professional. :)

just my 2 peneth worth but as ive been in the building trade since i was 15 (40 now)if its decorated then the joints are taped and if its plastered they use scrim,wouldve thought if you put a price in for endless more boards your not going to get the job?
or is it because they aint got a clue on using a deadman?

strange all the architects must be wrong as well, as ive never seen anything else specified either :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back