Plasterboard wall construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently dismantling my bathroom before refurbishing and have a couple of questions re the construction of one of the walls:

I know that most of the internal walls in the house are paramount plasterboard. (two bits of plasterboard with a honeycomb card board structure bonded between the two creating a 35-50mm cavity)

This one is slightly different.... it appears to be 3 sheets of PB bonded together then the card board cavity then more PB on the other side. Not sure how many boards on the other side as it goes through to the adjacent bedroom.

First question: is anyone familiar with this 3 board arrangement know how the 3 boards are likely joined/bonded together?
Reason being is im trying to remove the existing tiles and figured, if i can just remove the entire first board, tiles included. The i can just replace the first board as one piece in order to avoid more of this....

just need to work out how to remove the first board with out removing all three!

any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The rational behind the multi boards was that the additional thickness was to act as a sound deadening medium. Indeed, it is very possible that there will be a similar double board on the other side of this wall

The two joined boards will have been "stuck" together with plaster or similar back in the day. probably a finishing [pink] plaster.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. Do you think its possible to remove the outermost board with the tiles (almost like a kind of sacrifical board) without completely trashing the 2nd board in?

Then i could easily reboard and tile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back