plasterboarding over tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen a few questions about putting plasterboard over existing tiles. None of the answers were that conclusive and someone out there might find this useful as I needed to do this myself in a bathroom. The existing tiles and the wall they were on was very sound and so I simply used the Screwfix adhesive(Pinkgrip) in lines down and across the sheet and a few rawplug and screws to hold while curing. I had first done a sample piece a few inches square just using Pinkgrip and once it was cured had to use a chisel to get this off the tiles!
Anyway as said maybe someone might find my experience useful.
James

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why is it lazy?

I've done similar with blown plaster, only just screwed 9mm boards into thermalites. No pink grip, and I never even bothered to strip the old wallpaper.

Likewise, I used gripfill to stick boards on to bare brick in the utility.

We were in a situation once where we were wondering whether to strip or not to strip.

1950's built bungalow with rendered-on 6"x 6" whites. Render was like bell iron and the tiles were as tight as a drum. T'uther side of the half brick thick wall was a newly tiled bathroom. In the end we stripped. It was difficult as it meant keeping the breaker at a crazy acute angle, avoiding any horizontal hammering.

On that same wall, there was a beam bearing. I managed to carefully remove a brick without damaging any of the tiles or plastering on the bathroom side. The only damage was some modest localised grout disturbance to one of the tiles. Took me hours though.

There is another way which works;

paper the tiles with woodchip paper (very 1970s, I know!); once it's dry, apply a skim coat of board finish.

If the tiles are firmly adhered to the wall and the plasterboard sheet's base is resting on a solid surface and the fixings are through the tiles into the wall behind why would there be any chance of the tiles coming away from the wall and the plasterboard with it !? I could have spent hours or days removing tiles and then fixing the plasterboard in exactly the same way. Thanks for comments anyway :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back