Plastic back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I swapped a couple of sockets on new conversion (USBs), the main electrical contractor had used plastic flush back boxes, never seen that before, they looked the genuine article i.e. not surface boxes repurposed, no floating lug though

Sponsored Links
Are we talking about plasterboard boxes?
ie
Dry-line boxes.
or
The more modern 'studbox', which can be screwed to the studwork before the plasterboarding takes place.

No they were sitting flush in a newly plastered wall, not dry llners or stud box

I've seen such things on 70's jobs, but not on more modern installs, just assumed they didn't catch on

Sponsored Links
We have them in a 70s house for both sockets and lights. They go brittle over time and the fixing lugs tend to break when you change the faceplate. Ours do have floating lugs though. They were fitted by the original electrical contractor when the house was built.

They used to be sold by Woolworths in the 70's.
They certainly did.
They go brittle over time and the fixing lugs tend to break when you change the faceplate. Ours do have floating lugs though. They were fitted by the original electrical contractor when the house was built.
They certainly did go brittle. Helping a friend clear his parents huse for selling we found a woolworths bag with a couple of 'Nettle' switches and plastic back boxes complete with receipt. we couldn't make out the date but the prices 2x 8d & 2x 1/7d. whole thing got dumped as falling apart.

They certainly do go brittle - usually end up fitting surface mounted boxes over them on 'maintenance' type jobs.

The op suggests this may be a newer install - but can't be sure.

They certainly do go brittle - usually end up fitting surface mounted boxes over them on 'maintenance' type jobs.

The op suggests this may be a newer install - but can't be sure.
Yes its new , completed this year

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back