Plastic on front of houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I cant be more specific on this I hope yous understand. I have took a photo on my phone but cant find my lead to get picture to comp and having problems sending it to pc to show you exactly what product I am on about. Anyway.......

Do you know the plastic sheets it is t ad g and in some area they put it on the front of there houses. Well I used it to put it on my ceiling in my kitchen with spot light in and it looks really good. But when the central heating people put the pipes in they pit them in a place where you could see them. I have now got round to moving the pipes to somewhere where you can not se them and I needed another piece of plastic as there was a gap where the boxed in pipes was. I got another piece and the t an g lip looked different than the one i had but it still went into what was up. What the problem is now is the piece what I have put up looks a different white. It cant be that the ceiling is up is dis--coloured its very new and no one has smoked in the house. I think it might be from a different manufacture hence thats why the t and g lip was slightly different. I am guessing you can get diferent shades of white in this stuff ?

Got image now of what plastic I mean !

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=plasticlb6.jpg

Sponsored Links
The link is not working, but it sounds like shiplap or T&G soffit cladding, and there are over 20 shades of white IIRC.

Putting plastic on the ceiling is a substantial fire risk (especially in a kitchen) and gives off lots of thick toxic smoke when burnt

Sure I did not think of that. Too late now. Thats what it is. Is there anyway of finding the shade or getting the right manufactuer without going round every plastic place and asking if they stock that shade ?

as differing shades of white can be very subtle, identifying them can be a pain.

the differences may only be noticeable in certain light and when the offending piece is easily comparable - i.e. when it is in place. :rolleyes: :LOL:

:idea: try talking to a plastics rep. :idea: ;)

Sponsored Links
The same happens with fluorescent light bulbs. You'd think "oh they are white". Nope. In my shop theres a glass door freezer with a vertical bulb next to each door (9 tubes). Look down the freezer and its clear what I mean. Theres some warm white (830) tubes, some brand new cool white (840) tubes, and some in betweens. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. It annoys the hell out of me lol.

As for your plastic, could it be that the white plastic has yellowed slightly with age? And as someone else said, there are many many shades of white, as is apparent with my fluorescent tube comparison. It could be that this new plastic is a slightly different mix?

I dont think the other plastic has dis - coloured as it only been up 6 moths. I think it is down to the company using a different manufacture now. What are these plastic reps ?

Would there be any chance of getting the same colour plastic or is it like wallpaper with different batchs. If it was more or less the same I dont think I would notice as I have spot lights and the light seems to bounce off it.

These plastic reps are they just someone who sells plastic materials or can they match you a colour like a paint rep ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back