plastic radiator pipes bending like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Have had a look through the forum but can't find any info. on the following problem.

I have a new combi boiler CH system installed just over a year ago. The plumber has used the plastic piping in the attic which I understand is common place.

My concern is that when going into the attic the other day I noticed that some of the pipes are bending at an alarming rate, I mean they are curving right up into the air like bananas!

Is this being caused because he hasn't strapped them down?

What are the risks of them breaking/leaking/failing?

If I try and strap them down now am I likely to damage (do more harm than good) them due to them being bent? Do they need completely replacing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have uploaded an image - is taken from above so looks slightly better than actually is. Hope this is useful.

That's bad installation. He should have made the copper pipes come out horizontally and put the plastic pipes under that joist bearer.

The O rings are at risk of failing due to the weight of the pipes.

Sponsored Links
yeah i thought it looked shoddy. If I drain the system and straighten the pipes then lay them under the joist instead of over do you think it will be ok? I would phone the plumber but since it has been over a year I'm not sure he will come back.

of much more concern is that there is no insulation...as they are in unheated space...

...The O rings are at risk of failing due to the weight of the pipes.
The usual Joe-90 nonsense.
There are a number of potential problems with this install, but o-rings failing due to weight of pipe is 100% certain not one of them. :rolleyes:

In an unheated loft, water pipes of any kind are at risk of frost damage. Any plumber that didn't care to spend 5 minutes preventing that risk is likely to have blundered in other ways as well.
Best to have somebody who does know AND care look it over.

I looked at the picture to see just how horrendous it really was.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that I was not over concerned by the slight angle on the pipes.

But it was the freezing risk that really concerns me.

Tony

Nah - that stuff is pretty durable. Mines been freezing up most mornings lately and nothing has burst.

Think today was the first time this week I haven't had to thaw them out.

Joe does have a point the manufacturers do say do not put any stress onto these fittings whether those fitting have stress is for manufacturers to decide if they fail .
The copper coming into loft should have had another kick(set) in it so the pipes where running flat on the insulation then they could have gone under that joist instead of over it.
Dont just lag the pipes get some fibre glass down the eaves where the pipes are coming up as this would be the first place to freeze

...The O rings are at risk of failing due to the weight of the pipes.
The usual Joe-90 nonsense.
There are a number of potential problems with this install, but o-rings failing due to weight of pipe is 100% certain not one of them. :rolleyes:

In an unheated loft, water pipes of any kind are at risk of frost damage. Any plumber that didn't care to spend 5 minutes preventing that risk is likely to have blundered in other ways as well.
Best to have somebody who does know AND care look it over.

I guess you must be a bit of a cowboy then if you think that that is a good installation. Do you have any experience in plastic pipes bursting? Would the insurers pay out 10 grand on an installation where the pipes are up in the air with their full weight on the fittings? Is that how you do your work?

Remind me never to employ you then. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wonder what parallel universe Joe inhabits?

Sounds like he knows as much about pipework as he does about boiler repairs, which is slightly less than I know about brain surgery. Does anyone want advice on how to treat a sub dural haematoma?

Another cowboy me thinks. :rolleyes:

Why on earth would anyone want pipes all over their loft?

FFS - other trades have to get around up there. :rolleyes:

You must do some sh*t installations. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back