First pipe bend paranoia assurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So while I was at Screwfix i decided to try a pipe bending spring. I bought a bunch of fittings - 90 degree bends etc. but understand that not using them may be better, flow of water etc...

So, me being totally paranoid about my nascent plumbing skills want an honest critique on this...

moDuxxQ.jpg

It's not perfect, there are slight ripples forming but what I don't know is should a bent pipe be totally smooth anyway? This is going under the floorboards so it doesn't need to be aesthetically perfect. I just don't want the bugger to fail :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Unless a pipe is madrel bent then there will always be slight ripples/slight narrowing - it's down to the same length of straight pipe then having a smaller inside radius against a larger outside radius and the pipe stretches (outside) and ripples (inside) to accommodate the bend.

Your bend looks fine.

Sponsored Links
Seriously though, you've done well because over the years copper tube has got thinner and thinner wall - so you've done good(y). And the spring can be a *** to get out sometimes.

Seriously though, you've done well because over the years copper tube has got thinner and thinner wall - so you've done good(y). And the spring can be a *** to get out sometimes.

I'm ripping metres and metres of old copper off the wall and was considering reusing it - although it is caked in black sludge on the inside. Well....maybe not caked but certainly I cannot get it off with a pipe cleaner. But I think I will keep this around just in case :D

That's absolutely fine. A wrinkles aren't significant. Creases are.
At what point does a wrinkle become a crease? I've miss measured another section and need a gentle bend to help but I worry there's a bit more of a crinkle :mad:

X558JRa.jpg

I might try another piece of pipe...

Never could get away with using springs to bend pipes..Bloody thing always stuck..Such a fanny on,just to save using a joint

At what point does a wrinkle become a crease? I've miss measured another section and need a gentle bend to help but I worry there's a bit more of a crinkle :mad:

X558JRa.jpg

That's still a crinkle and would be fine. I gave up using a bending spring and bought a cheap set of pipe benders a few years ago. Much better as you can put a bend in a longer section of pipe and don't have to worry about the spring getting stuck. £25 on ebay buys you a set.

X558JRa.jpg

BillyWilly,,,unless it is your hobby or your new career,,tiz really not worth bothering with springs or even pipe bending gizmos,,,Just use joints.

Circulators are so powerful nowdays and fittings so cheap that few bother pulling bends unless it's for aesthetic reasons.
Only time the pipe benders come out is for odd angles and small offsets.
Cross overs use a part crossover and an obtuse (all end feed to keep the cost down).

Well I'm paranoid as **** an just turned the system back on. I'll let you know how my bends hold up.

Huge thank you to everyone who has contributed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back