Plate compactor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any general advice on using a plate compactor? Never used one before.

Picking one up tomorrow morning to wack down about 4" of type 1 before laying slabs.

Seems to be obvious enough, just passing over until compacted 'to refusal'...but as I'm discovering there's always something I will have missed!

Luckily I have about 1/2ton spare for adding on top after first pass.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
get it raked fairly level first. give at least 4 passes over each area. mind your feet.

easy peasey

Cheers Thermo

Going good so far. Done at least 4/5 passes and it's just started staying nicely compacted. Probably do another couple or so, especially in areas that needed a bit added becasue of dips in level.

One problem: hadn't realised how much it would churn up compacted material on awkward turns. Worked out it takes a bit of lift on the backend and gentle arcs rather than just turning as you would a lawnmower or suchlike.

It's a heavy beast though!

I like to wet the area as well - sets like concrete after wacking. Well, almost.

Sponsored Links
just lift the rear slightly as you go around the tight corners and drop the revs slightly

Got there in the end. Thanks.

Was damp anyhow for some reason which did help.

Arms are suffering a little though since I also asked for 1 1/2 tons loose and meant to say bagged up! Spent couple of hours shifting from A to B. . . Oops!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back