Please can someone help with quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know some of you dont agree with fitting a second hand boiler but i have no choice

My broken boiler is a Halstead 45F and I am looking at buying an Ideal Classic FF250

My engineer has said my system is not designed for this ideal and will cost double to install does anyone know why please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I hope this is a different engineer to the two who have failed to fix your current boiler?

OMG where on earth are you getting these jokers from, you have now had at least 5 guys who really haven't got a frigging clue what they are doing, the only diff between these two boilers is the flow & ret on the boilers are the other way round, ie your old boiler flow on the left, new(old) boiler flow on the right, these could be swapped around on top of the boiler, the flue is also a diff shape but nothing major, yes it is a little bit more work but certainly not double the cost. So what have you been quoted for the boiler change ?

Sponsored Links
£280 to fit a boiler which is more different than the other to your current system??? how much for the actual boilers, where are you sourcing them? do they come with a guarantee? You haven't mentioned a combi before either.

Are these engineers Gas Safe registered??

I don't know what the answer to your problem is but seriously doubt that installing an old, second hand boiler with no guarantee is it.

At the very least you should concentrate on getting your money back from the 2 rogues that have put you in this position. Check out your home insurance policy, maybe it has a legal advice line you can call. Also I would speak to Gas Safe / Trading standards and whatever other professional body your engineers have been members of (after giving them a chance to rectify at their cost of course).

The one who blew the PCB, what did he say when he left it like that?

How did you pay? If you get no joy with the engineers then I would also look into Section 75 if you paid by credit card, I don't know if services like this would be covered.

He never said that it was blown it came to light later although I should have known with the almighty bang and sparks!!

The latest engineer has recommended a combi thats why I have started considering one but to be honest I think I would prefer not to have one.

I may well try and get my money back in the near future but at the moment I just need to get heat into the house. My bedroom windows are dripping wet in the mornings and the ceiling in my downstairs loo is turning mouldy :cry:

I'll probably get shot down for suggesting it but have you considered the one off fix service from BG? Might be worth at least getting a quote from them, I've never used them for this service myself though I have had cover with them in the past.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/product...boiler-repairs.html?bghlink_id=i10013[/QUOTE]

I agree that is your best option at least you know you will have heating and water for the next 12 months at least , the second hand boiler option is just trouble waiting to happen, I think the max is something like £150 and some you have to take out their maintainance contract for a minimum of 12 months but just call them and ask

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back