Boiler part please can anyone help me I'm freezing!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My boiler has broken down and I cant afford a new one. It is a Halstead Balmoral 45f so very old!
My engineer has fitted a new pcb but says I need a Pilot Solenoid Valve and it should be ok but the part is coming up as obsolete.
Does anyone please know where I may get one or if anything else is interchangeable?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Doubt if you will get one but possibly someone on here has one left over from days gone by , these have been obsolete for ages the correct name is a Maclaren/Johnson G700 series pilot solonoid or complete gas valve good luck but budget for a new boiler this must be one of the last of these old fellas still in use

Sponsored Links
Wolsley show two part numbers for the solonoids suggesting that they are different, but dont state which is the Pilot one, I always thought both were the same but been a long time since I worked on one of these, you could get your RGI to see if they are swappable before you order that one I suppose, I think they are both the same though and the fact there is only one available on there would suggest the same, at the very least if your RGI could put the main burner solonoid on to the Pilot and the pilot then lights it will confirm they are swappable and confirm 100% that it is the solonoid that is at fault

Being suspicious, I suspect that the RGI wrongly diagnosed the problem and replaced the PCB and then realised the gas valve was really the fault.

Many do that! We call them parts changers!

A really determined RGI would, after a while, probably find an old gas valve or just the solenoid to fix it.

Its a little questionable how permissible fitting used parts are!

Many RGIs dont know how to fit solenoids to a GV.

Tony

it's the whole gas valve not just the solenoid, never seen a brand new gas valve for £4-80

Wolsley show two part numbers for the solonoids suggesting that they are different, but dont state which is the Pilot one, I always thought both were the same but been a long time since I worked on one of these, you could get your RGI to see if they are swappable before you order that one I suppose, I think they are both the same though and the fact there is only one available on there would suggest the same, at the very least if your RGI could put the main burner solonoid on to the Pilot and the pilot then lights it will confirm they are swappable and confirm 100% that it is the solonoid that is at fault

Thanks a milliion he is coming over to try your idea!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back