Please help a dumbass

Ok - have changed the switch and still no light :(

Please explain to me how it doesn't matter which black wire goes where because surely they do different things? My understanding is that the light should come on no matter which one is connected - however one will allow it to be turned on/off with the switch and the other won't is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Its some B&Q 5 armed chrome thing lol!

Hmmmm bulbs - suppose thats an option....darn sundays, nowhere open to get any

Nope its not bulbs - took one which is known to work and tried it in a working light and the new one - still nothing lol

Can you do what I wrote in the guide on the first page?
Get your multimeter out and identify which is the switch wire.
Can you post up a photo of the wiring in the back of the switch and the wiring in the light?

Sponsored Links
when i went upstairs the reds in the junction box were sparking :oops:

what voltage are the bulbs?
if they're 12V then it's odds on that you may have blown the transformer in the light fitting..

if you think it's the wires, swap them round..

do the rest of the lights on that circuit still work? it might be that you've knackered the breaker.. ( they don't like repeated shorts in a short time frame.. )

a photo of the connections and the light itself would help us to diagnose better..

Finally....all done,working not blown up.................(yet) lol thank you all so much for your help and advice.

Hmmm....another problem - the lights in the bathroom and spare room now do not switch on lol. The bedroom is working fine ha ha

Please help - any ideas?

IDEA #1

• Buy a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Study this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting until you know how lighting circuits work.
  • Trace the layout of your circuit, and knowing how it works use your multimeter to find where it's gone wrong.
IDEA #2

I recommend #1, as it will pay dividends in the long run.

In the meantime get a fluorescent camping lantern for the bathroom and a table lamp for the spare room.

Thanks for that - the issue is that I cannot afford a sparky to come and look at the issue - first house and funds are tight due to the mortgage etc!

I have studied the diagram and cannot see why putting a light up here would knock out the rest of the house.

There must be a fairly simple explanation - any other suggestions?

There is a simple explanation - when you put the light up you broke the lighting loop somehow.

Hmmm so do you think swapping the black wires around will help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back