Please identify what type of wiring I have from these photos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a fixer upper 2 bed masionette which where possible I hope to do mostly myself. A lot of this will be learning experience for me so please don't worry about patronising me.

Now, on to the wiring. From the pics below, can you tell me what sort of wiring I have, and whether any of it should be replaced to meet current regulations or whatever is legally required. Basically do I need to rewire the place, and for what reason?

Thanks in advance.

Light fitting 1
S2500341.jpg

Light fitting 2
S2500348.jpg

S2500343.jpg

S2500346.jpg

Wall Socket 1
S2500342.jpg

Wall Socket 2
S2500347.jpg

Wall Socket 3
S2500350.jpg

Sponsored Links
Some of that is rubber insulated wire, which will be well over its expected lifespan.
The rest looks like Mr Bodger has been in there and made a load of dubious additions and modifications.

The fuse box is old, and therefore has no RCD protection.
The tails (wires from the meter) look undersized and possible rubber insulation as well.

The earth to the sockets/lights looks to be relying on the metal conduit - fine if the conduit is in good condition, but it often corrodes at the joints.

If the rest of the place will be redecorated etc., this is the ideal time to rewire. If the wires are in conduit it MAY be possible to pull new ones through. More likely is that you will need to chase out the walls - and if you want sockets in different places or extra ones, chasing the walls will be inevitable.

Wouldn't say it would need a full rewire, half looks like modern PVC wiring, half looks like old VIR, the tails from the meter to the CU for example.

Who knows without having it properly tested though, I can see lots of obvious faults with the sockets etc that could be easily rectified.

On the plus side, it looks like its mostly in conduit so a full rewire would be fairly straightforward.

I don't know what you expect people to be able to tell you from this...

You've got old colour scheme wiring but theres nothing wrong with that.

Personally i'd have the CU replaced as that looks like fuses and old ones at that.

To determine how the place is wired you'd have to do continuity tests on all the sockets/lights etc to find what is wired to what.

Don't forget about Part P if you intend to do this yourself ;)

PS Nice wallpaper in that last pic!

Sponsored Links
Old! You have old wiring, with junction boxes on your lighting circuits,no sleeving on earth conductors in sockets, wall socket 1 looks to be fabric wrapped,re-wirable fuses, no RCD protection. In short get a qualified electrician in, This is looking like a total re-wire (sorry) If you rent this property get in touch with your landlord (good luck) If you own it this is beyond a learner. It is also notifiable to your local building control at the council.Seriously, this is a big job.

Rewire.

I wouldn't mess about trying to reuse bit and bats of the existing installation.

Basically do I need to rewire the place, and for what reason?

The electrics do appear to suggest that re-wiring is necessary.

There is very old wire in places. The fuse board is not up to modern standards and not able to carry the loading for all the appliances in a modern house.

Not really a first time job for DIY electrician unless you have plenty of time to read up the regulations and then plan the layout and have it checked as being safe and legal.

The right tools and tricks of the trade mean that almsot always an experienced electrician will be able to install the wiring much quicker than a DIYer.

There is very old wire in places. The fuse board is not up to modern standards and not able to carry the loading for all the appliances in a modern house.
Plus even where there is new wiring there's considerable evidence of it having been installed by someone incompetent.

Plus even where there is new wiring there's considerable evidence of it having been installed by someone incompetent.

At least it was some one with half a brain as they used 4mm on that radial in one of the photos. Still looks bodged insulation tape as sleeving on the CPCs or no sleeving at all. I go with rewire as there looks like to be VIR, rubber etc. The board is well over due for an upgrade.

Job for a spark as this need to comply with part p as well as testing and inspection and I doubt you have the test equipment to carry out a full range of tests (guidance note 3) or interprit the results.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back