Plod has 'regrets'...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"The Metropolitan Police has expressed "regret" over the arrests of six anti-monarchy protesters on Coronation day."

Linky Linky

I wonder whether those who praised plod over their tactics will now realise that protest in the UK is now effectively dead?

And the sad thing is that at some point everyone probably has an issue that they wish to raise...

But their right to freedom of speech no longer exists!

Of course some may impose 'insufficient privileges' to an individual's right to express an opinion ;)

Sponsored Links
They are lucky the King didn't exercise his powers on them.

They are lucky the King didn't exercise his powers on them.
it shows how out off control this government is rather than devote assets to solve illegal immigration ' the nurses dispute 'protestors'and many other issues they pass laws to make more people criminals passing the buck for all there faults to the mainly innocent
it shows they are both out off control and simply dont understand how fairness and how negotiation works ??
the age off beating the working class into submission has long passed

Sponsored Links
What "they" are saying sounds like BS.
If they'd said they wanted to stop a situation where a breach of the peace was likely, I'd have more respect for them.

There was a retired chief of plod on R4, who got it about right, AFAI'm concerned. He opined that you have a right to protest, as long as you don't impinge the rights of anyone else to do what they want. That would mean no chanting, no rape alarms. You can choose to not look at placards, but that's about all.
Is that unreasonable?

"The Metropolitan Police has expressed "regret" over the arrests of six anti-monarchy protesters on Coronation day."

Linky Linky

I wonder whether those who praised plod over their tactics will now realise that protest in the UK is now effectively dead?

And the sad thing is that at some point everyone probably has an issue that they wish to raise...

But their right to freedom of speech no longer exists!

Of course some may impose 'insufficient privileges' to an individual's right to express an opinion ;)
Say Lal, you never sent me those location details I asked for for that tear-up you promised me. I checked my messages - nothing! What happened?

People should not be prevented from peaceful protest. The grounds for arrest were weak. The protesters had been consulting with the police to discuss their plans. I suspect there will be a compensation claim paid for wrongful arrest.

However protesters who set out to disrupt others, should be prevented.

The only regret should be they weren't horsewhipped down the Mall by a squadron of Cavalry.

I heard a couple of arrests weren't in relation to the protest but the possession of Class-A drugs. Morons. There must've been more fuzz per square yard than anywhere else in the country around the route and they thought to take their stash.

Horsewhip some sense into 'em, say i!

A Sky News article

Police have been criticised after reports that volunteers helping to keep women safe were arrested in the early hours of coronation day.

The Metropolitan Police said that at around 2am on Saturday, three people were arrested in the Soho area of central London on suspicion of conspiracy to commit public nuisance.

Among the items seized were a number of rape alarms, with the Met saying it had "received intelligence that indicated groups and individuals seeking to disrupt today's coronation proceedings were planning to use rape alarms to disrupt the procession".

They added: "There was particular concern from military colleagues that this would scare their horses involved in the procession and, as a result, cause significant risk to the safety of the public and the riders."

Earlier, the Met had tweeted that the intelligence had "indicated that people were planning to throw rape alarms" to disrupt the procession.
A horse terrified by unexpected noise, such as a rape alarm, can become a serious danger if it bolts in panic into a crowd.

I am all for protesting, but if it means spoiling a day for others, and a very important, once-in-a-lifetime event at that, then let the police do their job.

If the same protesters decided they hated the FA Cup and wanted to dance on the pitch, I'm sure arrests would also be made in the same manner.

The grounds for arrest were weak.
The grounds for arrest were in fact non existent as plod has admitted!

Plod in conjunction with the ruling elite used social media/right wing press to sow the false seeds of 'reason for arrest' beforehand...

Anyone who supports these actions believes not in any form of democracy or free speech in the UK!

If the Prime minister toured the capital to celebrate being elected, would you oppose people protesting against him?

People should be able to conduct protests peacefully, particularly if they have discussed it all in advance with the police. These new powers do not allow the Police to prevent protests, they rightly closed the loophole that gave them less power over static protests which have been increasingly used to disrupt others.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with how it's written.

I can easily see that crowding together holding up their large banners could be a breach if it stops other people enjoying the view.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back