plug for amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought this unit, plugged it in and its not working, so checked the plug. It has 2 green, 1 blue and 1 brown wire. Brown and green are connected to the right and the blue and other green are connected to the left. Is this correct, any help appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
that sounds VERY wrong.

Got any pics of the amp and also the plug? certainly sounds wrong though...

Sponsored Links
strange.... any chance of a pic inside where the wire goes?

by the look of it, the amp should be earthed. which at the minute, it isnt. possible that both greens are earths amd some idiot has wired it like that

EDIT: cable actually looks like a 2core. is the appliance double insulated?

It looks like theres a bit of cut off flex hanging out the cord grip?

Pensdown said:
It look like theres a bit of cut off flex hanging out the cord grip?

didnt notice that... looks like both greens...

Some ones having a laugh. If this was bought from a store you need to contact trading standards. If from a friend, question their friendship.

is it a valve amp by any chance ?

(5 points to anyone who can guess where I'm going with this...)

EDIT: scrub that, looked at the pictures :oops: , looks like someones wired fairy lights in the same plug and chopped them off

Just bought this unit, plugged it in and its not working,

You have just a had lucky escape. :eek:

Remove the other cut off flex and replace the fuse and give it a try. The way the other cable looks, it may have been shorted out

Bought on ebay!!!
and stand well back!

All becomes clear.
The previous owner connected another item (using those green wires) to the same plug and just cut them off when they sold it to you. Remove them from the terminals and discard them before plugging it in.
The fact that anyone would do such a thing does not bode well for you amp, the fact it doesn't work could be caused by misuse and a cavalier attitude to safety.

Just to check - did you buy this second hand? If I were you I'd take the plug of the flex, cut it back an inch or two, strip the wires and reconnect the plug. But let us know how many cores you find, if more than brown, bue, (and possible green/yellow striped), before connecting it.

I have occasionally seen cases where a strange person has put two appliances on a single plug. Maybe your plug was previously used in that way. If it was, and the extra cable was snipped off when it emerges from the plug, that is a horrible and unsafe arrangement.

The cable coming out of the back of the amp does look as if it might be two-core.

Reason its not working may be a fuse blown. If someone was muppetty enough to do this in the first place, they may well have done it live. Don't want to overdramatise this, but you could easily have been killed by that plug.....

Have now taken wires out of plug. There are only 2 wires coming from lead, blue and brown. I connected the blue to the left and the brown to the right, changed the fuse but the amp still not working. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back