Plug sockets not working, but were before...

Sponsored Links
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/7/128968069463932973.jpg
Here's hoping that all those who have dug themselves into holes by accusing me of doing things for which they have no evidential basis take notice.

~~ if people want to do electrical work that they should genuinely understand it, not just follow instructions without really knowing what they are doing, or why they should be encouraged to do electrical work when they don't really know what they are doing.

Can you point them out to me?

How many "qualified" electricians ( the house bashing type especially ) just follow "instructions" ( the regulations ) with out any real understanding of what they are doing.

How many "qualified" electricians ( the house bashing type especially ) just follow "instructions" ( the regulations ) with out any real understanding of what they are doing.

Far too many it would seem. Like the one I had an argument with on another forum last year who tried to insist that because the regulations say that an installation must be earthed by one of the specified means (local earth rod, supplier's neutral etc.) it was not permissible to add one's own local earth electrode to a TN-C-S installation. He even went as far as to insist that it was highly dangerous and likely to kill someone.

At the same time he accepted that a bond to an underground water metallic supply pipe was required by his instructions. When I pointed out that such a metallic pipe would also be an effective earth electrode (actually likely to be more effective than a little 4 ft. rod), he seemed to think that it was completely different because the regs. don't allow a water pipe to be used as an earth electrode. No amount of logic and basic electrical theory could seem to get him to realize that just because a water pipe has not been permitted to serve as the earthing electrode for an installation for over 40 years that it won't actually not behave as one!

When "qualified" electricians can't grasp something that simple, I have to harbor grave doubts about the adequacy of the training and the exams.

Sponsored Links
At risk of kicking things off again, just thought people should know that I got this sorted - as suspected, was a loose neutral - seems to have been in the root socket. Fixed anyhow.

Also checked the continuity of the rest and all good :)

Thanks for the assistance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back