Plugging in Oil Radiator causes Power Cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have an oil radiator which was working fine no issues yesterday, today I plug it in and it causes a power cut in the house.

It seems to go straight through, I would of expected it to blow the 13 amp fuse in the plug but it causes a power cut to everything in the house not just upstairs sockets.

FYI - More expensive Dimplex version now out of warranty

Just wanted to check if it was a quick fix or better to throw it away ?

Many Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
Fault between L&E or possibly N&E.
On heaters, it's almost certainly the element failing.
Oil filled types are generally not worth repairing.

Sponsored Links
Let me get this right... when you unplug it, the power comes back on to the rest of the house without you having to reset any circuit breakers or similar?

Can you post a picture of these circuit breakers that all trip?

So yes as others have said you should probably discard the heater - but if it makes all of the circuit breakers trip, that suggests a problem with the wiring that should be investigated.

I'm pretty sure I had to reset all of them including the big one as I heard various things coming on as I fired up each switch.

All of these (attached) were down

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_193601.jpg
    IMG_20201207_193601.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 205
it’s quite hard to imagine how that could happen... any ideas anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back